Quick Search

Seller Id
Advanced Search
16th Century Diary
16th Century Judaica
16th Century Manuscript
16th Century Rare Book
17th Century Diary
17th Century Ephemera
17th Century Judaica
17th Century Manuscript
17th Century Rare Book
18th Century Diary
18th Century Ephemera
18th Century Judaica
18th Century Manuscript
18th Century Rare Book
19th Century Diary
19th Century Ephemera
19th Century Judaica
19th Century Manuscript
19th Century Rare Book
20th Century Diary
20th Century Ephemera
20th Century Judaica
20th Century Manuscript
20th Century Rare Book
21st Century Diary
21st Century Manuscript
21st Century Rare Book
Books and Manuscripts General Overview
M. Benjamin Katz, Books & Manuscripts


We are proud members of The Manuscript Society and follow their ethical guidelines of fairness and integrity.


ELLA ???? Listings

If you cannot find what you want on this page, then please use our search feature to search all our listings.

Click on Title to view full description

On offer is a lovely trip back to pioneer America in the form of a diary of Ella of West River, in the Rochester area of western New York state wherein she spends a great deal of time visiting, doing chores and socializing. She rarely fails to mention by full name and frequently the birthdays of everyone in her area. Many, many dozens of names including: Whitman, Clayton, Pierce, George Howe, Churchill, Goddard, Dr. Bark, Preacher Brooks of Weston, Dr. Lowell, Mr. Stuart, Mrs. Stoodley, Marion Thompson, 18, Mr. Hunts, Emma Woods, Mrs. Robertson, Mr. Willey, Mr. Buxton, Ella F. Thompson, Ella Cheney, 16. We learn her mother is 51 in 1870; Mrs. Clayton 28. We estimate she is mid to late teens given her companions age range and that she does occasionally go to school other than Sunday School. Overall G+ but some pages have been removed, a handful in January. Some in December otherwise the diary is quite full. 
Price: 595.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
On offer is an original, charmingly intimate, manuscript diary dated 1884 handwritten by Ella C. King from Pittsburg Pennsylvania but as the diary opens up on July 28th, 1884, we find Ella in Denver Colorado. While one would classify this as a travel diary in many ways it is more of an homage to the 'Mile-High City' as Ella is in love with the Rocky Mountains and on numerous occasions she mentions how she feels as though she might never visit this beautiful place again and becomes rather depressed at the thought. In fact at one point she is talking about how she is so in love with the mountains and says before she dies she will see them up close and follows that passage with…."If I only had one of the children and a horse of my own I would be so happy." In all she spends a little over 2 months in Denver. However while the 170 page narrative begins in the 5 ½" x 7 ½" notebook style journal a few days after her arrival later on the reader will realize this diary is very interesting on yet another level this being a sociological study: Ella is without her husband and children as she talks about them being back in Pittsburg. Why? Intriguing clues may make for an interesting research project into her motives. Here is an example in the last entry: "December 31st, The last day of the old year and I am all alone and in going over the past there is one little part I would clearly love to undo but as that is impossible it will be something for me to regret…..Good bye old year! I wonder where one year hence will find me." After her extended stay in Colorado, in the fall, she travels back home to Pittsburg. There she's a very busy socialite going to the opera, hospital fairs, democratic conventions, taking her children to dancing school and other social engagements. Historians and researchers of the era in Women's Studies will have an interesting time with Ms. King. The journal was kept in a beautiful marble covered journal which is now falling apart and needs some archival repair. Both the front and back covers have fallen off but are accounted for. But the inside pages are securely attached to the binding and it rather large for its size as diaries are concerned. Here are some snippets: 1884 "July 28th, Still very warm but breezy. I did little or nothing till morning. Indeed this is a very lazy life. In the afternoon I went to call on Mrs. Cinnamond, an aunt of Alex Morris. She is a widow and keeps boarders. In the evening Harry took us the loveliest drive and we saw the prettiest part of Denver. Beautiful residences and the sweetest cottages covered with vines. From Capital Hill we had a magnificent view of the mountains. They looked so grand and majestic with the snow on them and the sunlight too. Looked as though they were almost at our feet when they are more tan fifty miles away." "August 1st, I can write nothing but beautiful weather all the time. Jennie is something better, though very sick yet. Harry and I have been with her almost all day. The Dr. has prescribed pretty severe treatment and if carried out I know will prove very beneficial. The fever is broken and she feels better though she would rest tonight." "August 26th, Jennie has been more or less amused today watching young Stanchfield who is to be married this evening. I baked and was busy all morning. In the evening me and Mrs. Butler came and took me a lovely drive all over Denver. It looked so pretty with the electric lights all burning. We had the benefit of a sand blow coming up the hill. Mr. and Mrs. Yankee here in the evening." "August 7th, Jennie's birthday! I had just finished cleaning up the room when who should arrive but the Dr. He was perfectly furious at finding her in bed but she feels so weak and easily tired. She don't like to make an effort to get up. How ever she will have to rouse herself from this time but….Harry is putting up a tent for her to stay in during the day. Mrs. Kent here this afternoon killing herself over the Kennedy's having nothing to eat at the meeting." "September 1st, What a lovely day this will be at home. The children all getting ready for school with the first stroke of the bell they will be off. I am so glad they have all had such a nice summer. Letters will come telling us all about them. This is a big day here the exposition opens with a grand parade. All the neighbors have gone and we were congratulating ourselves that we wouldn't have any callers when Mrs. Jenkin's and Eva appeared……." "September 3rd, Still very warm. No change in the weather. Jennie wakened this morning with a very sore eye so painful she could not bear the light. It seemed too bad. She is getting stronger and able to go out. Harry took her a little ride this morning and it did her good. In the afternoon she with me and a guide took a little turn around the yard and sat in the tent for a few minutes….." "September 5th, Was more beautiful than yesterday. Jennie rested better last night than normal and got off without a chill but as soon as she was dressed and ready to go out the old chill came on and lasted until dinner time. In the afternoon we went out and sat in the tent and as usual had one visitor, Mrs. Kent Yankee and others. Jennie walked around several times and seemed very lively. A large drive of horses passed here today. Harry went to town and got some marketing and coming home finished the stable….." "September 18th, & 19th, Nothing in the world to write about. No one here. Jennie about the same…..A long letter from Maude with a full account of all their proceedings at home. That is all I have to look forward to, my letters." "September 22nd, Mrs. Kent called and gossiped for awhile. Made Jennie very angry repeating something she ought to have kept to herself……" "September 23rd, Busy all day. Jennie rode over to the Dr.'s but as usual he was not there. Went to the occultist to see about her eye. Oh, these grand mountains! And I cannot see them only at a distance and I do not suppose I shall get to see them. This time but if I live and prosper, I am determined to see more of this beautiful country before I die. If I only had one of the children and a horse of my own I would be so happy." "September 25th, Little Jim's birthday, seven years old. I got up this morning and did a bathing before getting ready for the exposition and had to hurry like everything as I must be ready by twelve o'clock. I went out and Mrs. Stachfield was not quite ready so I came back and got a little lunch and then we started in Mrs. Stachfield's buggy. Stopped at the store for her husband and then proceeded on our way. I had ever such a nice time. The building is very good built of brick and much after the plan of the old Pittsburg building. The display of ore and minerals were very fine but unfortunately I did not understand them. The prettiest thing I saw was the representation of a ranch at Palmer Lake close to the foothills and the scenery was very natural and pretty. It being pioneer day there was a wedding of an old pair of _____ who wanted to make themselves very conspicuous…The ball in the evening took the cake." "October 5th, I went to church and walked home with Mr. and Mrs. Mueller. They like myself are going back east. I hope to start the middle of the week. How I do long to see the children." "October 10th, A beautiful day. Mrs. Finney and I did up all the work and made our arrangements to go to town. We got all ready and waited on the "Herdic" but it came not, so we started and walked all the way to the Union Depot and from there to the "American House" where we dined and afterwards walked all over the principal streets going in any number of stores and made some few purchases and came home in the Herdic, very tired." "October 12th, Mrs. Finney wrote some letters and afterwards went with me for a drive. We drove to Wolff Lake where we sat in the buggy and watched the sun go down behind the Rocky Mountains. My last view. I ponder if I ever will see them again. When, where and with whom." "October 13th, My last day in Denver spent the morning packing and finishing up and in the afternoon went to pay some calls and say goodbye to Mrs. Rice, Mrs. Mueller and Mrs. Butler, Stanchfield, the "Yankee's". Started at eight o'clock on my way back to Pittsburgh. The car being full I had to take a state room all to myself and felt like a prisoner all day. Met a very pleasant lady on her way from San Francisco to New York……." "October 15th, St. Louis. Arrived at this place at seven o'clock. Got off the train and was surrounded with cab men. One came up and wanted me to ride in an affair that looked like the Black Menia, which I refused to get into, so finally got a carriage and went to the Southern Hotel and had a nice breakfast and after resting for a little while went out to Shaw's Garden. Came back had dinner and went to the exposition where I spent a pleasant afternoon. Went back to the hotel very tired had my supper and left on the Ohio….." "November 3rd, A very pleasant day. Fred and I took the early train this morning for Washington but did not reach there until twelve o'clock. The children were all getting ready to go to school for the afternoon and wanted Fred to go along but he did not feel so inclined. In the evening George got a buggy and took me up to Trinity Hall…….." "December 3rd, Maud's wedding day and a very pretty one. Florence and Annie went to town and bought them little presents. Mrs. Finney went to town to meet Brady. The children went to dancing school. I went with them as far as the Market House when I got out and walked all the way to Goettmen's to order the ice cream for Maude's wedding. Came home and met the Dr. at the door. He looks quite well. Miss Bissell and Ivie called in the afternoon. Henry Bissell and Daisy went to the cemetery. Mr. Byllesby came in the evening when we had an old fashioned wedding supper with huckleberry pie to please Fred. Will Hersperyer came at eight o'clock in a carriage when everything being ready he and Maude stood up and were married without one bit of fuss or trouble and drove off greatly delighted with each other……" Very elegantly written, primary content and great entries about Denver in the 1880's and most will find Ella is a rather exceptional writer. Overall Fair+. 
Price: 1355.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
On offer is a sensational, original manuscript relic of extended global travel handwritten by a super diarist only identified with the initials "G.H.C." but whose last name we suspect is Cella as per some financial notes. With absolutely no other information one cannot wonder with a more than casual reading that the author was a known and maybe an historical figure on an unusual voyage through Asia and beyond not retold in a tourist like fashion. They certainly travel and tour and visit in a socially and economically elite manner. Beginning in Hobart Australia, GHC is quitting the company he's working for, selling off and packing all of his belongings and heading to America but not before stopping in some fabulous ports of call. On the first page of his diary he says "Sunday night arrive Hobart. Spent until morning of Wednesday July 13th packing up, selling off livestock and finalizing sale of home to Co." Fascinatingly GHC provides two pages of lists of the belongings they are taking by trunks and boxes and then all the things unsold. On July 16th, 1927 they board the steamship Tasman and sail for Makassar Indonesia. They spend a good deal of time in Indonesia and then on to Japan, Singapore, China, Hawaii, and finally the states arriving in San Francisco on October 17th. It doesn't stop there either, as they travel to Yosemite and then board a train to head east. The diary ends on November 20th on the way back to the West Coast. We note with interest that when he arrives in the East his mother meets him in Culpeper Virginia perhaps a clue to his origins. The diary is chock full with approximately 130 pages of wonderful anecdotal entries. Given the scarcity of diaries detailing sub continental trips to places like Indonesia, Japan, China and Hawaii collectors and researchers will find treasure trove of great writings. Here are some snippets from his arrival in Makassar: 1927 "August 2nd, Arrived Makassar at 7 A.M. Had early breakfast and motored to waterfall 25 miles into country Bantimurung thru markets at Maros. Took photos and bought bananas. Batimurung was very pretty, high overhanging limestone cliffs. Back to boat for lunch. Country low and swampy, rice and corn seemed main crops. Visited Chinese Cemetery in Makassar, also few shops but made no purchases. After lunch drove up to Hotel and walked back to ship thru Chinese quarter. Took snap shots. Saw lots of interesting things including stacks of tamarind pods in a store along street front. Met Wilson and Cahill on bikes seeing sights. Back to ship and sailed at 4 P.M." "August 4th, Arrived Surabaya 7 A.M. Michael Mgr. Java Motor Car Co. met us at boat with 4 Studebaker cars. To hotel (Oranje). Walked about bazaar nearly bought topi. Measured by Chinese tailor for white suit. Lunch. Walked about. Had good sleep. Then for drive at 5 P.M. Saw Chinese quarter, then Dutch homes, school etc. Dutch homes all open and a glare of lights. Looked very attractive. Dinner 8:30 P.M. Evening meal in Java, always late. 8:30 up to 10 or 11 P.M. Walked about shops, saw Cabaret and movie house. Very quiet. Ice ream at soft Dutch place then hotel and bed." "August 5th, Up at sic for 8 A.M. start to Tosari. Our car No. 51 with Michael as guide, Moore driver, Miss Harris, Adelaide, Mr. Capron, Perth (Govt. Rep) and (GHC)2. Splendid drive up thru rice, sugar, corn and tapioca fields. Climbed up 6,000 ft to Hotel Tosari reaching there at noon. 72 miles drive. Sharp turns and steep grade. Our room, same cottage as Mr. and Mrs. Meeks and Mr. and Mrs. Butler (Perth). After lunch slept until four then went for pony rides up to beyond Bromo Hotel which several hundred feet higher than Sanatorium where we stayed. Back at 5:30. Played tennis, later cards until dinner at 8:30." "August 6th, Up at 3 A.M. Had coffee and toast set out t 3:30 for Bromo Volcano on ponies with native for each to lead when necessary. Breakfast was carried over native's shoulders in tin boxes. One sedan chair carried by 8 natives also went. There were in the party; Mr. and Mrs. Butler, Miss Harris, Allan Crago, Membrey, Miss O'Sullivan, Miss Thompson, (GHC)2, Michael and his three guides. Procession lighted by torches made with bottles filled with oil with wick in neck. Reached top of ridge surrounding sand sea at day break. Splendid view of sea with mist veil spread out over it. Frost was showing everywhere on plants and grass. Elevation here about 7,000 ft. Leaving ponies with Native we decided into sand sea by steep path. B and I walked across the S.S towards Bromo which could now be heard boiling and roaring in the distance. Ponies finally caught up with the boys. Remounting we rode to foot of Bromo up steep path. From this point it was necessary to walk up 220 steps to the edge of the crater some 500 feet deep and half mile across. Boiling and rumbling was very loud and violent but no molten lava was visible. After taking pictures or two we descended to foot of stairway, had breakfast and started return journey arriving back at our hotel about 11:30 A.M. After bath and lunch we turned in for a sleep until 5 P.M. Sat about until dinner and to bed early." (Then: Djoka, Surakarta, Garoet, Poeruakerta, Tjigoegoer, and Bandoeng.) "August 16th, …..Champaign dinner given by Michael and speeches by various members of the party. Liquor supplied by Cooks (Membrey). Rough bunch of Dutch men half drunk made a nuisance of themselves in the dinning room. Late to bed." (Then Batavia and the steamship Melchior Treub for Singapore). "August 21st, Aboard S. S. M.T. for Singapore. We passed a number of interesting islands. A Coolie jumped overboard in straits of Banks. Boat circled and put down life boat. Picked him up but spent more time in chasing life belts which were thrown overboard. All K.P.M. belts are made in shape of horseshoes instead of the usual round. Trip across very hot but water still and boat made good time at 7 A.M. on morning of 22nd. Wharfs and natives much less neat and attractive as compared with Java. Grand mixture, Chinese, Malays, Indians, White people, more, awaiting the boat." (Then: Temples, Chinese Market, Naval Base and on to Johor). "August 26th, ……Party reached Malacca Priest House about 5 P.M. House quite new and clean. We had upstairs corner room. Took photo of beds. Took bath and walked out up to wharf and along sea in the dusk continued around fort to Chinese quarter where some sort of celebration was in progress with candles and joss sticks burning along the street. Back by jinrikisha via fruit market…" (Then: mines and Hill Jungle, Fraser Hill to Taiping). "September 2nd, Took train at 9 A.M. for Bangkok. Interesting ride during day. Crossed boarder into Siam at Padang (Big field) about noon. No trouble with customs or passport. Train comfortable, one sleeper reserved fro our party, each had lower. Close fitting nets provided for each bunk. Country flat, mostly with limestone hills rising abruptly from the plain. Much rice land. Water buffalo and men working in padi fields." "September 5th, Off at 6:15 for train for Ayudhya. Interesting ride thru splendid rice lands. Saw govt. aviation school practicing in the air. Met American Apostle of 7th day Adventist originally from Tenn. Spoke of conditions in Siam. Said new King had cut down govt. exp. by putting out some thousands of its employees also by paying of many foreign advisors who were no longer required. Mentioned some advisors from USA were drawing up to 2000 ___ per month. Mentioned there was dissatisfaction with the dismissed govt. employee's and those in control feared that an uprising might occur. Police force has been strengthened lately. Living conditions for whites was bad unless you could build your own house and screen it. 7th Day people are working thru the converted natives. On arrival at Ayudhya we were met by two launches one towed y the other. Hampers and provisions from hotel were placed aboard and off we went up the river passing floating shops and markets, many little boats full of native provisions. Finally reached the Front Palace and leaving the boat we motored to the back palace where visited old ruins to temples etc. which were destroyed by Burmese invaders….." (Then: Singapore, Hong Kong, Canton). "September 19th, Left for Canton on S. S. Taisham at 1 A.M. arriving Canton at 7:30 A.M. Cooks guide, Ah Kum, met us with three sedan chairs and off we went thru little narrow squalid streets of the old town to silk shops, bird feather jewellery, bought shawl for other and some jewellery. On thru the old town to temple now used as soldiers quarters. Saw sight one temple and pagoda now demolished. No Chinese will buy or use the ground. Saw furniture shops of almost every description. Many markets where bloody looking bits of fish were sold also bits of pork, goat, rice, fruit, etc. Visited Pagoda Temple saw three white jade Buddha's. Another large and old temple now partly occupied by soldiers. There were several nice wells here, water being very good and elevated above the rest of the town. Many beggars yelling at the top of their voices, lying wallowing on the ground at the same time. You are warned to give them nothing, not clear why but presumably they are then worse then ever. Our Coolies sang and yelled as they passed thru the narrow streets warning people out of our way……" (Then: Shanghai, Woosong, Shanghai, Nagasaki, the electric train to Osaka, Kyoto, Tokyo, Yokohama). "October 1st, Yokohama to Honolulu 3400 miles……Much excitement over departure. Large crowd on wharf, some 5000 (est). More streamers than I have before seen on departure of boat from port. Considerable number of new passengers joined, principally Japanese. American party in 1st class consists of 9 and two Dutch. Mr. and Mrs. Stulshoff. American Mr. and Mrs. Dunn, Mr. and Mrs. Andrews, Mr. and Mrs. Savon and (GHC)2 and Mr. Campbell of Honolulu, Hulschoff's from Batavia (Ret. Govt. Servant), Dunn's Frisco Lawyer. Sailed into harbor at 3 P.M. but stayed until 5 P.M. inspecting passports. Medical and searching ship for stowaways. Water fairly smooth." (Then to Hawaii). "October 10th, Up early at six and saw land as we rounded Isle Lahaina. Lunch at twelve. Medical inspection 12:30 to 1:30 tied up at 2 P.M. Went ashore with Stulshoffe. Walked to Young's Hotel made our arrangements for Packard Car to take us around island for $15.00. 86 miles. After visiting bank for money we left in auto at 2:45 going up thru the Pali thence around island, back by Schofield barracks and Pearl Harbor. Fine trip but no time to stop for seeing coral reef from glass bottom boats. Road some concrete, some bit on macadam, some dirt, but generally good." They arrive in San Francisco on October 17th, then there are trips to Yosemite, through Colorado, Utah, Kansas City and much, much more. The 5" x 7" book is overall G. 
Price: 2085.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart






Questions, comments, or suggestions
Please write to info@mbenjaminkatzfinebooksraremanuscripts.com
Copyright©2018. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by ChrisLands.com