Quick Search

Seller Id
Advanced Search
16th Century Diary
16th Century Judaica
16th Century Manuscript
16th Century Rare Book
17th Century Diary
17th Century Ephemera
17th Century Judaica
17th Century Manuscript
17th Century Rare Book
18th Century Diary
18th Century Ephemera
18th Century Judaica
18th Century Manuscript
18th Century Rare Book
19th Century Diary
19th Century Ephemera
19th Century Judaica
19th Century Manuscript
19th Century Rare Book
20th Century Diary
20th Century Ephemera
20th Century Judaica
20th Century Manuscript
20th Century Rare Book
20th Century Rare Books
21st Century Diary
21st Century Manuscript
21st Century Rare Book
Books and Manuscripts General Overview
M. Benjamin Katz, Books & Manuscripts


We are proud members of The Manuscript Society and follow their ethical guidelines of fairness and integrity.


19th Century Diary

 - 417 items found in your search
19th Century Diary

Click on Title to view full description

1863 Good+ 48mo - over 3" - 4" tall 
Very scarce collectible from a number of viewpoints this being an soldier's ivory six day diary as per Lord's Civil War Collector's Enclyclopedia, Volume III, page 94. A Civil War ivory pocket diary mounted with silver shield and catch. The soldier wrote his notes in pencil, traces can still be seen, then erased them when no longer needed. Monday through Saturday, 3 1/8" long x 1 5/8" wide, precisely the measurements in the Encylopedia. The inital R has been engraved into the silver shield and functional latch. Saturday has a blackish blotch on the back, Wednesday has a tiny edge missing. Very beautifully aged overall. Superb Civil War collectible. 
Price: 785.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
SOUTHERN ENGLAND GREAT BRITAIN 1890 Good Manuscript 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall 
On offer is a super, original manuscript relic of travel through England on its inland waterways and canals as handwritten by the intrepid author "Rutland Bleign" [but really unidentified as it seems a pseudonym] who is travelling with his friend and illustrator, the brace working to publish the as titled book: "In Tow: The Chronicle of a Cruise in a Monkey Boat." Written from August 6th through the 28th in 1890 [he leaves off the year but some sleuthing concluded definitely the year as stated] the manuscript which appears unpublished details the three week cruise on the historic canals of Southern England at the perfect time for historians and researchers of canal travel as in 1890 while some were in peak years of usage while others beginning to see the inevitable decline due to increased railway service. Rutland is an erudite, witty raconteur in this travel account. Here are some snippets: "... after a ramble round the town, I took our permit to the Canal Office to be initialled in due form, and had a chat with the agent Mr. White... returning to our boat... I found a very serious gentleman with a pencil and notebook in hand... announced himself as the Canal-Boat-Inspector-for-the-Newbury-District-under-the- Local-Government-Board... he wanted to know how much women, children, and other livestock were onboard... if any of us were subject to hydrophobia, Asiatic cholera, smallpox or other little ailments of that sort... the blue books had already told me; but then as its owners the G.W.R. [Great Western Railway] get the traffic which it would otherwise take, it seems to be merely a transference from one pocket to the other. No doubt the Railway people would close the Cut tomorrow if their powers allowed them, which fortunately for us easy-going folk who infinitely prefer their water- to their iron-way, is not the case..." "The canal closing Sunday rule is absolutely stringent, it appears, and even a party of G.W.R. officials [Great Western Railway] who came down the canal for a weekend 'trip' were not allowed to infringe it. As the pleasure traffic begins to feel its way along these hitherto almost unknown waters, this regulation will naturally become more & more irksome, and will probably be relaxed eventually..." "....Melksham... the sunny old Quaker town... the grand old Quaker enterprise and grit which made the place, had largely disappeared, but Sir Robert Fowler still is there, and the methodist connextion is evidently strong..." "... beyond a square orchard with some lumps in the turf... Stanley Abbey... our host insisted on our partaking in some home brewed wine (vintage '86, Chateau Rhubarb Beds) of subtle flavour and half inclined to be sparkling." "We begin to expect great things of 'New Swindon,' and may, after all, have to spend more than the inevitable 'ten minutes for refreshment' which begins and ends most peoples acquaintance with the place; and which must have brought a fortune to the far seeing contractor who stipulated for that stopping clause in his lease with the Railway Company." Overall G+. 
Price: 4585.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
ASEA ABOARD THE STERLING 1891 Good Manuscript 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall 
On offer is a superb, though flawed, original manuscript 1891 - 1892 travel diary detailing day to day life workings and aboard a 3 masted schooner sailing to the 'far side of the world' from New York City to Hong Kong and back. Inscribed, in a later hand: 'Uncle Fred Hartford's Diary on Board The Sterling Capt. Geo. Goodwin 1891 - 1892 Voyage from New York to Hong Kong by Sailing Ship 196 days'. 'The Sterling' commanded by Captain George Goodwin and this extended trip to the Far East and back are told over approximately 181 intact pages, numbered page 3 - 184 with several loose pages, a small number of fragments, a 'supplement' notebook, two letters of correspondence, a photo of the ship and a twentieth century envelope bearing pertinent data and provenance written by family it appears on the outside. Genealogical notes on the envelope name Uncle Fred Hartford as a relative to the Captain inasmuch each man married cousins [we think!] who were sisters of the grandmother to the note writer!?! Flaws, fuzzy familial connection and all do not change the fact that the narrative is packed with details of life under sail as the author gives a day to day account starting with the position or location, weather and any and all interesting observations or occurrences. It would seem he has some knowledge of the sea and ship board life describing the sailor's handling of the backstays and other easy references to nautical nomenclature. But he also seems to delight in some new enjoyments like sitting up high in the mizzenmast. Maiden voyage or not Fred does a super job delivering a true picture of life aboard as he strives to bring the experience to life for the folks back home. They encounter some rather bad weather; discuss trading coconuts with natives in an almost hilarious scene to the natives at least to going on a 'pick nick' in Hong Kong the narrative is unique: Uncle Fred holds the benighted position of a working 'Guest' of the Captain. He spends much time working through a cigar on deck with George discussing the folks back home to who he is actually addressing as if one long huge letter. As to his duties he appears to act as ship's purser being in charge of the 'slops chest' and having some part in negotiating with the natives. Anyone familiar with the Master and Commander series will see a like situation between Captain Aubrey and his particular friend Dr. Maturin. The paper is somewhat brittle being the reason there was some fragmentation but we cannot account for the loss of the fist three pages. The vast majority of the piece is overall G. 
Price: 4255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
STRATFORD CONNECTICUT 1826 Good Manuscript 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall 
On offer is a fascinating, original early 19th Century 38 page manuscript diary handwritten by a 21 year old female member of the Deforest family, we believe, and living in and around Stratford Connecticut. Dated January 1826 through February 1827 we surmise she is a novice or novitiate [she is allowed home] in a not too faraway convent with frequent mentions Sister Maria, Sister Betsey, etc., and that she sits in her 'chamber' window' etc. That said she still has a life and family outside of the convent with travels to Milford, Bridgeport, Putney [north end of Stratford], and of course many, many mentions of the people around her: a friend Maria Hovey, S. Alffords, Rev. Mr. Judah, Joseph Tomlinson, Mary Mills, Mr. Levitt, Mr. Rutledge, Sarah Lewis, O. Beardslee, Mrs. Birdseye, cousins: Eliza and Sarah Deforest, Mary Deforest, Jane Mills, Delia Deforest, Uncle and Aunt Beers, Aunt Pendleton +++. Activities include religious sermons and musings, visits from family and friends, domestic pursuits such as spinning, sewing and quilting, news of sickness, manning a charity booth, deaths and a wedding. She also refers to "Bracebridge Hall, or The Humorists, A Medley was written by Washington Irving in 1821, while he lived in England, and published in 1822. This episodic novel was originally published under his pseudonym Geoffrey Crayon." The 6¼ x 7½ inch book is missing its covers has some minor wear and soiling, but overall G. 
Price: 2255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
MOBILE ALABAMA AL 1843 Good Manuscript 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall 
On offer is an interesting, original manuscript relic of North-South trade being an 1843 handwritten letter dated Mobile Alabama as field representative A.C. Mathewson writes his head office of jewellers Mathewson Allen and Co. of Rhode Island. Addresses to the company his correspondent was likely his relation Nathan Fuller Mathewson, [born: 7 Sep 1814, Warren RI, Marriage: Susan Green Wightman about 1840 in Providence RI, Died: 27 May 1901, Jeweler and partner from circa 1835 to 1848 with Bradford Allen in Providence RI as MATHEWSON & ALLEN, listed in the 1836 city directory with a shop on the corner of Pine and Rhodes Streets] regarding the state of his gold and silver trade dealings. He reports he has had almost no business in Mobile but frequently mentions he expects better in New Orleans. He also notes business dealings between Rhode Island, New York and Charleston South Carolina too. Some small loss from opening at the seal and a mouse has done some nibbling. Overall G. 
Price: 585.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
On offer is an original rather enigmatic and very intriguing 1862 manuscript diary handwritten by A. K. Jacobs a 22 year old man [he is 23 years old on December 23rd] who at the beginning of the diary was a teacher at Eckley School and going to White Haven in Luzerne County. Soon he tires of teaching, a Mr. Tarbox takes over, and Mr. Jacobs heads to Philadelphia, then to Harrisburg, Williamsport, Elmira and finally ends up on the shores of Lake Erie where starts an engineering/surveying job [research finds a civil engineer, A. K. Jacobs, in the 1880 census, living in Lock Haven Pennsylvania, born in 1840 and married to a Mary and no doubt the same author of this book]. Historians and researchers of the era and the region will find a number of intrigues. In one case he seems to be caught up in some kind of scandal or legal troubles. He writes: "August 9th, Received a letter from L. Hyndman. Heard what the people at Eckley think of me. Have from all accounts a pretty hard name but am innocent of all the charges." In another circumstance that while there is hardly mention of the Civil War but Jacobs left drafts of two different letters in the back of the book on the blanks, one to a women he loves named Emma and the other, a 'Letter to the Editor' and in part it reads: "…..The last battle before Richmond has caused the people in this (Erie) and adjoining counties to mourn for friends and relatives who laid down their lives for their country. They were principally of the 83rd Reg. Pvt. Col. McLane who was a citizen of Erie, I believe, was pretty badly cut up when he returned to camp……" Here are other snippets: 1862 "January 1st, Had a good crowd all day at the bar. Fell very tired at night." "April 9th, Wrote to J. L. Hyndman. Spent a very unpleasant day in school. Scholars very troublesome and mischievous. Felt bad because Jane did not give me an answer when I wanted to go up with her to Mary's." "April 12th, Went to White Haven in the afternoon. Brought a horse wagon over. Took Jane out to the valley. Had quite a happy time. Got back at 4 o'clock. Stayed with her till two." "April 23rd, Taught as usual. Made arrangements to stay with Jane. Attended church at the Episcopal Church. Had quite an exciting time with Jane. She got excited and got a fit." "May 23rd, Lieut. C. Straw and Jack Durst visited me this forenoon. School small today." "May 28th, Came back to Eckley this morning. I am going to quit teaching and am going into Engineering. Leave next Monday. Went to Jeddo after school. Engaged Mr. Tarbox to take my school next week." "May 31st, Came back to Eckley, ran around and settled my business. Stayed with Jane. Had a good time. Retired about 3 o'clock. Took Jane out riding, had a nice time." "June 4th, (in Philadelphia) Spent the day in visiting the Navy Yard. Evening went to the theatre. Welch arrived today." "June 6th, Looking up some records to assist us in the survey. Left Williamsport at 6 in the evening for Elmira. Arrived there at 4 in the morning. The train being detained by the freight train running off track." "June 7th, Ran around Elmira, visited the Water Cure. E. is quite a city. Left E. for Erie at 5 in the afternoon. Arrived in Erie at 2 o'clock Sunday morning. Went to bed at 3. Slept very sound." "June 15th, Went to church in the morning. Afternoon went down to the Lake. Went aboard a vessel there. Welch sketched Presque Island." (in Belle Valley) "July 20th, Spent the day at Stranahan. Had a good time with Jennie in the evening. Am going to take her to the ball on Friday next." "July 21st & 22nd, Moved our boarding place to Concord. Worked on the line and distributed stakes. Ran up to Corry…..Worked on Hu Line. Did a good says work after which went to Huron for supper then to Stranahan's intending to come back but being prevailed upon to stay. We did. Stranahan and family are fine folks." "July 25th, Worked all day. Evening took Jennie Stanahan to a ball. Had a good time. Kept it up till day light." "July 27th, Arose at 8 o'clock. Took breakfast and went down to Stranahan's. Heard of some remarks made about my being "Light" at the ball last Friday night. Not true." "August 10th, Went to Corry to a war meeting held there. Saw quite a crowd. Took dinner at the Boston House with George McBride, engineer on the passenger train." "September 2nd, Welch and I went to Spring Creek. I had a good time with Miss Emma and we had a glorious time all around. Am going to correspond with her, Miss Emma. She is a mighty fine girl." "October 22nd & 23rd, Met Emack Davison. Garden party on the train. Came down with them and had a time with them…..Stopped at the boarding house all day. Made drafts of bridges." "November 6th, Received a letter from Beisel. Run levels. Weather quite cold. Fire feels comfortable. David Tate, I am to pay 25 cents. Attended an apple cut in the evening at Capt. Graham's. Had a nice time." "November 21st, Spent the day at the boarding house. Attended a performance by Rivers Troupe in the evening. Very good performance." "December 19th, Went to Pittsfield and stopped all night. Attended a ball at Warner's Hotel. Met Emma there. Spent an hour pleasantly with her. Retired about 3 o'clock." Much of the diary was written in pencil and a few of the entries are a bit faded and smudged. There are a total of 227 days worth of entries and the back is also filled up with expense entries and additional notes. Much of those blank pages are from January 2nd to March 30th and then the entries become more regular. The diary measures about 3 ¼" x 5 ¾" and although all the pages are accounted for the binding is loose as are some of the pages so it does need some archival repair but overall the book is Fair+. 
Price: 1185.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
MONTREAL QUEBEC TORONTO HAMILTON ONTARIO 1867 Good Manuscript 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall / 
On offer is a manuscript travel journal of a sea voyage from Plymouth England to Quebec and an overland tour to Toronto and Hamilton made in the month following the Confederation authored by an Englishman identified by his own inscription as A. W. Row. It gives a fabulous opportunity to see Canada through the eyes of an early traveller. He travelled by boat, rail and horse-car, comparing the sights to England and expressing especial liking towards Hamilton, Ontario. On July 11, 1867 he boarded a brig named "Eliza", commanded by Captain Barrett: "Arrived on board the Eliza at noon, got on first rate, eat, drank, and slept well", but due to weather conditions they were not able to get to sea until July 15: "Started at 4 a.m., enjoying myself jolly, leaving the Princess Royal and Countess all astern, about 9 or 10 miles off the Lizard". In his voyage account he mentions seeing a whale, and catching cod and a shark, writes about strong head winds and gale: "One of the heaviest gales the crew ever recollects in the month of July. While at dinner the rudder ropes parted nearly throwing the man over the wheel…obliged to heave to under close reefed main topsail only. I never saw anything so awfully grand in my life. I had three falls but escaped with two nasty bruises". On August 10 he writes about Dead Horse celebration, the day when sailors paid off their debt to the ship according to a naval tradition: "Had rare fun about the Dead Horse, had to stand grog around". On August 30 they arrived in Quebec: "…arrived at Montreal at 6AM. Next morning had a drive around the city, was very much pleased, at noon started by cars to Lachine & through to Hamilton... that travelling much more pleasant than what I have seen there in England, should like to live in C.W. very much." In Hamilton he was staying at the Royal Hotel, the only first class hotel in the city built in 1857 by Thomas Davidson, and meeting with several people: "Still at Hamilton the folks very kind...wish me to stay longer very sorry i can't. E. T. Very jolly nice gal no humbugging stiffness that some gals have". Then he started his return trip, first by rail to Toronto, which he found nice, but not as pleasant as Hamilton, and then by boat to Montreal, was riding around with captain Barrett on business, and regretted not having time to visit the Montmorency Falls . On September 13 they set sail to go back to England. The journal covers a two month period, written in a fine colonial hand, on blue lined leafs with marbled edges, 11 pages are densely filled, but most left blank. Unique wallet-style binding, brown roan with wrap around closure, internal pocket to front board. 
Price: 3455.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
RAHWAY NEW JERSEY 1898 Fair+ Manuscript Folio - over 12" - 15" tall 
On offer is a super, significant original 1881 - 1885 manuscript diary handwritten by Abel Veil Shotwell the then scion of a many, many generations established in New Jersey family and whose ancestors crossed from England on the second Mayflower, after their original ship the Speedwell was turned back, landing at Plymouth Massachusetts in the later half of the 17th Century but eventually settling on the banks of the Rahway River in New Jersey around 1709. Abel's father was a tanner but Abel's path began as a clerk in a mercantile house, then insurance settling into banking. He was also a Director and on the Board of a number of financial institutions. The Shotwell history is enthusiastically written in the "History of Union County New Jersey". [See the bio notes after the description.] The diary is a superb effort by Abel to detail his life; a largish 258 page 7¾ x 12 inch ledger was used and well filled beginning March 3rd, 1881 through August 11th, 1885. Able never missed a day and provides long detailed entries and fascinating events some of which he witnessed personally such as the May 30th 1883 opening of the Brooklyn Bridge as it is known today when a large crowd panicked thinking the bridge might collapse and 12 people were killed and over a hundred injured; a trip to Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket Island, and Salem Massachusetts where he details many of the great historical artefacts he sees and what he learns about the Witch Trials, the awful death of his sister-in-law Margaret, President Garfield's death, elections, fires and explosions around town, town meetings concerning the debt of the town, a large flood, he also attends the trial of a woman who robbed his house, his near death overdose of medicine and much, much more. To add even further depth to this diary at each year's end summarizes all of the names of the folks who have passed away and who they were in the community and their relationship with him. Abel was a super diarist. Here is a snippet: "August 3rd, Clear. At 12:45 with R. and I left for Portland in New York. Got on board steamship Eleanor, Pier 38 and then found Jones and wife of Plainfield who had ticket for same berth that R. and I had when then Jones had to procure another berth. Also found on board Thomas Raynor and grandson of late Robert Amerson. On the passage R. and I and Mary became quite sick caused of the rolling of the ship, not a fast sailor." "August 4th, Reached Martha's Vineyard before 11 A.M. and rode across the island to Sea View House, a large one at which was a great many people with scarcely a chair to sit on except those in the dining room. The rooms are beautiful and smooth and very fine cottages with fine surroundings. A small R. Road (railroad) starts from this place and makes frequent trips along the shore and returns. The engine and cars are very small." "August 5th, left in forenoon for steamboat for Nantucket. Have fine passage and reached there about noon and went to the Sherburne House and found it a good but not showy place. Afternoon went to the museum and saw many curiosities and walked about the town. Fell in with the lady residing there who came from Staten Island and enquired after Dr. Drake." "August 7th, Called at a house to see Bric a brac and found the _____ to see the woman who sat in the galley by the name of Paddock. Went in cars to opposite side of the island and found good bathing beach and saw fishing boats land. Visited the Wine Mill built in 746 and saw it in operation. The owner said he'd run it generally in the winter and could grind 60 ___ ____ per day. Also visited the museum……" BIO NOTES: Abel Vail Shotwell was born October 18, 1814, in Rahway, New Jersey. His parents were Abel and Elizabeth (Vail) Shotwell. His father did an extensive business as a tanner, in Rahway. His mother was a native of Somerset County, New Jersey, and was the fifth in descent from Edward Fitz Randolph, a native of Nottinghamshire, England, who was born about 1617 and came to Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1630. Edward Fitz Randolph was married May 10, 1637, to Elizabeth Blossom, born in Leyden, 1620, her parents having left England to escape persecution. They came to America the same year on the Mayflower. In 1830 he became a clerk in a mercantile house, and later began business on his own account, in church he was actively engaged until 1868. In 1868 he became connected with the Rahway Fire Insurance Company. He was for many years second vice-president of the Rahway Savings Bank, also secretary of the board of directors of the national Bank of Rahway and was for a long period director in the old Farmers and Mechanics Bank, of Rahway. In 1858, when Rahway became a city, he was chosen to represent the first ward in the city council. He was married November 2, 1859, to his second cousin, Rosetta Shotwell Ebert, of Hamilton, Ohio, granddaughter of Hugh Shotwell, formerly of Scotch Plains, New Jersey. On her father's side she was a great-granddaughter of Colonel Smyser, of York County Pennsylvania, an officer in the Revolutionary war. Colonel Smyser was a captain in Colonel Swope's regiment, and was captured at Fort Washington, on the Hudson, November 16, 1766. Mr. Shotwell died December 17, 1893." The covers are detached but present, there a couple of loose pages but all accounted for and otherwise overall better than Fair. 
Price: 2655.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
COLUMBIA FALLS MAINE ME ST. PAUL ST. ANTHONY FALLS 1862 Fair+ Manuscript 32mo - over 4" - 5" tall 
On offer is a super, original 1862 - 1871 manuscript diary handwritten by Abijah W. Talbut [sometimes Talbot] of Columbia Falls Maine who was a minor inventor and likely cranberry farmer as we note from one online reference: "… it was the rake developed by Abijah Talbot of Columbia Falls, Maine that became the standard for the industry. This rake was similar to those used for harvesting cranberries, but had metal teeth and a flat bottom like a dustpan. With only minor modifications it is still in use by many growers." The diary has 110+ pages of which most are financial and expense entries with some miscellaneous notes however historians, researchers and collectors of early East to West intra America travel will find a significant 34 page narrative section of a near epic 1867 trip from Columbia Falls Maine all the way to St. Paul Minnesota and somewhat beyond involving stage coaches, steamships and trains. He makes note that this is his first trip on a train. His also details his time on a Mississippi River steamboat, the Addie Johnson which had been built just three years prior. He takes a packet up the Mississippi all the way to St. Paul and then walked to St. Anthony's Falls. He then takes a stage to Princeton Minnesota where the joins a crew who is working on building a dam outside of town. They are camping in tents and this camp is called the Barrows Camp. He's only in camp a few months (very brief entries of life in camp) and then decides to head back home. There are a several more sporadic diary entries of life in Maine dotted through the expense pages and while Abijah writes in a naïve format his diary makes for a fascinating read. Here are some snippets: 1867 "New Wharf. Left Mill (Milbridge Maine?) Oct. 14th, 9 A.M. Clear with smart breeze. Touched at lower wharf. 11 A.M. sick. 11:30 touched at L. W. got tickets through to Boston. Bought first to Rockland then to Boston. Touched at Pedgoria (?) 1:45 P.M. Touched at Deer isle 2:05 P.M. left Castine 3:15 P.M. Since left S. W. Harbor (Southwest Harbor Maine) has been very smooth. Have not been sick. At Rockland 5:15 P. M. Waited until 7:40 before the Cambridge arrived so to change passengers. Left Rockland 8:40 evening. The Cambridge came near loosing a passenger cause of being late. They are now driving the Richmond. Good to make time. At 9 o'clock turned in, soon after passing out headlight. Slept nicely all night. Woke up, found myself in Portland. Cruise about took breakfast at Kenn (?) saloon. Shaved, walked and run about till half past 8. Took cars for Boston. Started 8:45 traveling for 1st time by rail. Passing 16 ash stacks. Thick as cocks…….North Berwic, smart looking place. At Berwic Junction passed trains at 11 o'clock. Salmon Falls, a splendid place mostly brick buildings. Next change for good. Falls next. Stop at Dover. Splendid place from Salmon Falls to Dover, nice looking farm houses and farms. Durham short. Running 24 per hour…." [New Market, Exeter where they stop for refreshments, East Kingston, Newton, Atkinson, Haverhill, Bradford, North Andover, Lawrence and more.] "Tuesday October 15th, Left Boston at 2:30 P.M. for the west. 1st at Framingham, 2nd, West Brookfield. 11 o'clock P. M. Albany, left Springfield at dark and could not note stations. Wednesday Oct. 16, waiting at Syracuse for train to suspension bridge. Traveled all night. Port Byron a small station. The scenery from Syracuse has been delightful, level country, good farms but small house. From Fort Byron land more uneven, larger houses…" "Lockport waiting at the suspension bridge for dinner. After dinner train started and crossed the great suspension bridge very slow. We had a fine view of this stupendous work. It is impossible for me to describe or give the least idea. Also had glimpse of Niagara Falls as the majestic waters falls to the casom below. Across on Canada side waiting for passengers….." (Dundas, Harrisburg, Paris) "I noticed that since entering Canada our lady passengers are not so partial to waterfalls nor the latest style hat. Here we have the fashions of several seasons." (Princeton, Ingersoll, London. Detroit, Ann Arbor, Dexter, Chelsea, Jackson City, Grass Lake, Marshal, Battle Creek, Galesburg, Kalamazoo, Niles, Chicago. Milwaukee, La Cross, Watertown, Lowell, Columbia, Fall River, Otsego) "Saturday Oct. 19th, On board packet Addie Johnston bound for Minneapolis. Arrived at LaX (I'm sure he means La Crosse). Took packet ran 9 miles stopped on account of fog till morning. We started, ran into a boat towing lot of barges. Injured one of barges. Our boat and the Phil Sheridan (a side wheel boat) are trying titles as to speed. Ours is a stern wheel. The Sheridan has 2 many wheels for our Addie. The country along great Mississippi is splendid. The river is comprised of a regular succession of crooks. There R many small settlements along its banks but the most prominent feature is the bluffs which rise from the water 2 a great height and reside suddenly back of these I am told the country is a beautiful prairie. I saw a number of rafts of lumber going down river with houses built on them. Touched at Winona, a smart place 25 miles above LaX. This town is cituated on a level plain between the river and bluffs the water is kept from overflowing by levee or dyke as we call it. City Mountain composed of small houses stuck on to the side of a bluff. Took dinner on board. Had a nice one….."(Minnewaska, Wabasha Landing, Reed Landing, Lake City.) "Sunday Oct. 20th, Still on board Packet plowing up the Mississippi. The river is very low. Reefs and sand banks are to be seen on every side and very often the boat is running in 3 ft. of water. The Addie Johnston is a fine boat of 315 tons. Gentlemanly Captain and officers. They furnish us vittles on the boat free and no better gents can be wished. We are now passing where the banks are not so bold but spread out into broad bottom lands covered with heavy growth of Elm Hickory and Cottonwood….." "Just below St. Paul passed 2 boats aground. Arrived at St. Paul Sunday at 11 o'clock as there was no conveyance we started to walk up. Arrived at St. Anthony at 3 P.M. I walked around and found Mr. Skinner on Minneapolis side a mile from the city." "October 21st, Been running around all day after my trunk. It came at last on the 6 o'clock train from St. Paul. Am boarding with Mr. Plummer. Commenced today. Talked with lumber men but could not get much of a right. A fellow in St. Paul jerked 50 cents out of me by promising to send my trunk by morning train and did not do it." "Wednesday Oct. 22nd. 2:25 P.M. At Anoka a waiting for cars to Minneapolis. Have been up river 18 miles to look at a farm have not decided to purchase the price of that piece is 10 per acre…." "October 26th, Been loafing up town. Have hired with Mr. Barrows. Have been digging potatoes two days for Mr. Loverins. Loafed until the 30 started for woods. Took cars to Elk River and stopped for dinner then took stage to Princeton where we stop over night. Next morning started, drove 12 miles, camped, had hunt for hay, found none. Next morning started, arrived at the spot where we are to build the dam and prepared for camping. Sat. Nov. 2nd, commenced on dam. Dug trenches, put in 2 bed pieces. Sat. night snowed. Camping in tents…" "January 21st, Discharged last night, going out to Princeton today thence home. Took dinner at Mayo's ½ way camp. Stopped over night at Princeton. Wednesday 22nd, at Mr. Plummer's. Started this morning from Princeton, took stage to Elk River. Was a little seasick ridin in the prairie schooner. Took cars to Minneapolis then came out here where I arrived at 2 P.M." He finally reaches Bangor and boards a stage arriving home February 6th. The 3 x 6 inch book is in rough shape being worn and the pages have some smudging but overall better than Fair. 
Price: 2255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
IPSWICH MASSACHUSETTS MA 1867 Good Manuscript 24mo - over 5" - 5¾" tall 
On offer are five handwritten manuscript journals all having belonged to the Caldwell family who lived in Massachusetts, [one of the diaries, 1870, has the name Ezra S. Vieyes written in it. A casual reading does not determine where Ezra fits in with the Caldwell family but a more detailed reading will hopefully flesh out the relationship.] Two of the diaries have the name of the family scion being Abraham Caldwell, of Ipswich Massachusetts. Other towns mentioned include Westminster, Fitchburg, Northborough and Worcester. The diaries represent the years 1867 (full of entries), 1870 (a quarter full), 1875 (a half filled), 1887 (fully written) and the 1890's. Though not all fully written and the entries suggest illiterate writers these diaries represent a true piece of Americana with a treasure trove of local historical detail and genealogical information. For the medical collector there is an interesting thread running throughout - Mr. Caldwell is quite aged and he catalogues his daily ailments certainly a medical professional may assess his health from his writings. Here are some snippets: 1867 - "February 26th, Went to examination. Lizzie Rawson teach good." "March 4th, Went to town meeting. Another trial of Shemp, decided as it should be." "May 10th, Surveyed road to town, distance of about 2 ¾ miles 15 ft." "June 17th, Golden wedding, 75-100 people persons present." "September 13th, Took Templers Degrees. Went to town to lecture. Carried B.M. Balch." "October 13th, On euqaduct to town meeting for roads. Was chosen on committee." 1887 "January 9th, 7 Below. Very cold. Snow flakes flying all day. Ben out very little today. Louitah Lord, little more comfortable but very sick." "February 9th, Sick all day. From Salem paper I see Mr. Joseph Pusfer died in Salem, Oct. 19th, 1886. Born July 18th, 1798." "March 14th, Today I hav made a grait mistak in being two positive when in fact I was rong. My mind is faking me." "June 22nd and 23rd, Stage coach below belonged to Appleton farm…. Boiled out sink, cess pool very hard job. Had nummness in my arm and shoulder. Stage coach passed to day for Salem." "July 25th, Hot and sultry. A young lady came to Mrs. Batysons. Sang for House Benefit." "August 9th, Went marsh with North Harris and Negro. Went to Beverly. Stayed at Edwards over night." "August 21st, Fine and pleasant. John Billy's mother and sister here. Conrad G to made round Cape Ann." "October 6th, Tryed to make some wine. Caried my grapes to Capt. Wilcomb and he pressed them for me." "October 19th, Finished pounding the beans then went to Georgetown. Went in to Noisas Shoe factory. Was kindly received and shown from basement up. Felt interest and enjoyed it muh." "December 14th, Very warm and Pleasant. Went over to south side river to Mrs. Dolls with Edy B. Escamined his stock." "December 16th, Cooler. Gave notice to Mrs. Campbell that I should want the tenement she now ocupies for my own use the first of April next." "December 19th, Mrs. Smith at the Invenational House, left and fell and broke both arms. Slippery this morn. Bought turkey of Perkins." The 1893-1900 journal in the lot is a handwritten financial journal which has about 100 pages of expense type entries. I believe most of the entries have to do with rentals and money collected for the rentals. This journal has the name John Caldwell written on the inside. The front cover has fallen off of this journal and some of the pages are torn. The first 20 pages have also been torn out and are not accounted for. Overall G+. 
Price: 1295.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
Ohio, U.S. 1857 Good Manuscript 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall / 
On offer is an excellent pair of diaries spanning 22 years in the 2nd half of the 19th century in rural Ohio. Full of minute detail of daily life, they offer an outstanding window into life at that time. Measuring 12 inches by 7 1/2 inches, each has 240 pages. They are essentially 100% complete. The covers are in good shape as are the pages. The writing is legible. Also included are some notes and letters which help locate the author. Abraham Frost began his diary in 1857. Each entry is essentially one line although some do gone on longer. Most are quite brief: "Bin around home to work" [Jan 10, 1857], "Commenced plowing" [Mar 31, 1857], "I dug potatoes" [Oct 5, 1858]. Others were longer, but no less terse in their description: "Abe and I made fense in the forenoon, in the afternoon we went up to Babcocks and got some seed corn" [May 27, 1858], "Abe and John hauled corn to husk in the forenoon, the afternoon I choped sawlogs, John husked corn" [Jan 31, 1860], "I made cider at Dantzers, Willis and Shilling picked apples John husked corn" [Oct 21, 1871]. Throughout his entries, one gets the impression of a very hardworking, diligent man. Frost was obviously successful as a farmer and businessman. He does work for others on their farms and harvests and sells wood. He keeps a record of the people for whom he has threshed grain. There are a number of records of him lending money to others: "$600 June the 10, 1858 One year after the date we or either of us promise to Abraham Frost the sum of six hundred dollars for value received at ten per cent interest John [ ] Jason Promise". Life was lived at an intensely local level. He makes only a few oblique references to the Civil War which raged for four bloody years. These take the form of references to 'Union meetings': "I was to Crestline to a Union meeting" [Aug 22, 1863], " ... at night I was to town to here Thomas Orr make Union speech" [June 27, 1863]. In the summer of 1863, he travelled to Pittsburgh, Harrisburg, Philadelphia and Easton PA. No reason for the journey is given. He spent several weeks in Easton visiting friends. In 1876, there is evidence that he was working (either full or part-time) as a Supervisor for Holmes Township, OH: "Holmes Township Road District No 11 This is to certify that William Kerr has performed labor on the public high way to the amount of two dollars and six cents Superintendent Abraham Frost." For some years, he records his annual assessments for tax purposes. At times, he notes various prices for commodities. Overall, this 22 year record paints a detailed picture of a hardworking man who built a successful life in rural Ohio in the 2nd half of the 19th century. For a researcher, it offers a tremendous amount of detail about daily farming tasks and relationships within a rural community. Many names are mentioned which can be quite helpful in cross-referencing external information. 
Price: 3355.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
Pulaski Oswego New York 1869 Good+ 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall Autograph
Excellent archive of three [3] handwritten Victorian era diaries from a school girl, Adell Jones, who lived in Pulaski and Oswego, NY. Two are 1869 and 73, written in pencil, among many things, she tells of fellow student Nellie Burt, age 12 died etc. Third book is from 1889, now she’s married and includes local names from Pulaski - friends, family members etc. Some normal exterior wear, these diaries make for interesting look at 19th century life pioneer life and from a women's studies perspective it is charming to see this young woman grow up. 
Price: 1285.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
ASEA ABOARD THE HMS TRIUMPH HMS TURQUOISE 1879 Very Good 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall 
On offer is a super, original manuscript relic of naval life and adventure for a young British midshipman and future Admiral named Albert Sumner Lafone during his service and first voyage on H.M.S. Triumph, Flag Ship of the Pacific Squadron, in the years 1879 - 1880. Titled 'Extracts from letters written by to his mother while on his first voyage' the elegant 9 x 7 inch black limp leather covers gilt panelling and marbled endpapers. The 104 pages are fair copies in a secretarial hand or perhaps a scrivener of the intimate descriptive letters to his mother of the future Admiral Lafone while under the command of the Arctic explorer Captain Albert Markham, likely written soon afterwards by a friend or family member from the originals which are unaccounted for. Albert proves to be a gifted writer making for keen eyed observation and intelligence. He provides significant accounts of the 'stirring events' of the Battle of Iquique between the navies of Bolivia, Peru and Chile, sent from HMS Turquoise, illustrated with a 'rough' chart, ending in the ruse by which the Independencia's Captain, 'endeavoured to ram the Covadonga. The threatened blow was skilfully avoided by a sudden rush ahead, and the great ironclad ran right up on to the reef, the surf breaking over her... the Captain set her on fire and the crew escaped in boats'. There follows a vivid account of the sinking of the Esmerelda, 'each crew firing their guns as the water touched it. They went down shouting "Viva el Chile"'. There are visits to Acapulco and an Admiralty commissioned scientific survey and research voyage to the Galapagos Islands [which was written up in the Royal Geographic Society Monthly Record in 1880] with its 'lava rocks' and San Francisco, the Lafone finds himself moored at Esquimault in British Columbia where the ship is refitted and he devotes himself to observation of local culture: 'About 2 miles from the ship there is an indian village; the people are half civilised'. This doesn't prevent games of football with locals, vividly described rowing races, visits by trainee Japanese officers and a fund raising drive for a ball and provision of a social club despite criticism of 'the society about here' as 'regular republicans'. Overall VG. 
Price: 4255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
LAWRENCE MASSACHUSETTS ESSEX COUNTY 1859 Hard Cover Good+ 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall Autograph
On offer is a super relic of pre Civil War Americana that collector and historians will appreciate on a number of levels: a mere six years after incorporation of Lawrence he writes detailed descriptions of local events, names recorded of visitors and then his own life experience: a young, deeply introspective man whose life is one of failure and illness, injury and desire. The 188 hand-numbered pages are handwritten by Albert M Mead of Lawrence Massachusetts a 20 year old whose large 10.25 x 7.5 inch journal is densely written and covers the period of January 1859 through 1860. Albert starts retrospectively, recounting his early life: father from Canandaigua New York who was killed by his brother when Albert was two; moved to Norwidgewock Maine to his 'mother's people' who were from Vermont. He was run over by a carriage "and was injured somewhere about my head -which I think has its effects to this day, with other thrumps." As a testament to his sincerity he signs the 'forward' at the bottom of page seven. We learn he went to Provincetown to work in Uncle's jewelry store and studied to be a dentist but was unsuccessful at both. He worries that he is too cautious to succeed. Had three phrenologists check his head and they all said his caution bump is predominant. "This is one grand reason of my not succeeding in becoming a good dentist a good printer or of learning any trade or becoming a public speaker…". Albert worked as a printer and early on in the narrative he is told he is no longer needed but he's still working far into the journal. [for a Mr Hayes?]. Each work day page lists what he worked on i.e.: "working the fast & card presses, helping with the printing of the Sentinel paper, striking bill heads, circulars for fire co, Pemberton [Mill] labels, any entertainment that came to town needed tickets/circulars, etc. His pay was given erratically by his boss. Life for him and of the times: he lives in a rooming house, has a fire in his room, goes to meetings on Spiritualism, Mesmerism, Universalism, Skepticism, the "Davenport Boys give manifestations of Spirit Power" with a long paragraph of how they work. City going to try and close all rum & beer houses, Circus with "Steam Caliope" comes to town, sold his ticket to the circus in order to see the 7ft 8 in French giant, large block of buildings burned down killing an Irishman he worked with, several other fires including at one of the mills, runaway horses etc. He's taking a "Liver Invigorator" for his digestive health, meets girls [especially Annie] from the mills but is not very successful in dating - says he is lonesome. Takes the train to Boston & catches a boat to Provincetown [which took 5 hours], trip into Boston - saw Boston Light Infantry in full uniform & Aquarial Garden [described fully], buildings at Harvard etc, temperance lectures, bank embezzlement, Daniel Sickles trial, 1.5 page description of types of celebrations on 4th of July, Mr. Martin "colored preacher" who escaped slavery gives several lectures which Albert attends, "Ben Butler Democratic nominee for Gov. made a speech in Charlestown .. opened the campaign. It was a spicy and witty effort. Ben is shrewd on the stump as at the bar. He says pigs are just the same and as much property as Negroes are, under the Constitution. Why should they not be represented in Congress then? 5 pigs ought to be able to cast 5 votes if they are the equal of Black men. I think Northern mens property should be represented if Southern property is thus privileged. What is the Democratic Party coming to with such a creed before a civilized nation like America. It will …. its own condemnation in time." "Insurrection in Harpers Ferry Virginia with Negroes and some white men." "Tonight the Pemberton Mill fell down burying many hundreds in it's fall. …..in general it surpasses all former scenes recorded in the annals of present archives" and he goes on for a whole page of description. A super period piece of the times and the era. The marble covered boards are slightly bowed but the contents are in very good condition 
Price: 2855.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
FREDERICK, MARYLAND 1892 Good+ Manuscript 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall 
On offer are two [2] original 1892 and 1893 manuscript diaries and 90+ ephemeral pieces handwritten and once belonging to Albert Wilson Condon of Frederick Maryland [both diaries have his name engraved, written and/or stamped on them]. Albert [March 30th, 1874 - May 16th, 1940] owned the first 5 & Dime in old downtown Frederick and became sole owner of the Condon Tobacco Store. In the 1892 diary from January 1st to January 15th he has written poems and sayings. Then his trip to Washington D.C. falls in the month of September, which he writes about. But he also rewrites a summary of that trip on the first pages of the diary, January 16th through February 17th, (11 full pages). He talks of surprising his father at the Navy Yard. He tours the Treasury Department, Washington Monument, Arlington Cemetery, Lycern Museum, Medical Museum, Georgetown, a Panorama show of Gettysburg, the Capitol, and more. Then more poetry and sayings through to June 11th. Then there are 2 pages (or 8 days worth) that are blank and finally on June 20th his daily diary entries start and he writes full entries for every day after that. Albert also does a fair bit of traveling for the business to the towns surrounding Frederick and also to West Virginia. However the 1892 diary starts out with a trip to Washington D.C. and then in the 1893 diary he attends the Chicago World's Fair but only writes "At Fair." Those are the only days that don't have full entries in the 1893 diary and they are from October 8th to the 26th of October. Otherwise the 1893 diary has a full handwritten entry for every day of the year. Albert does a super job detailing the local and current events and his thoughts: Lizzie Borden (axe murder), Democratic Conventions, the hanging of 4 black men for the murder of a Dr. Hill, the Ford Theatre in Washington D.C. collapsing killing many, the suicide of a young woman in town, and so much more. It's interesting too that on November 25th, 1892 he writes "Stopped using tobacco" and yet he runs and owns a tobacco store. Here are some snippets: 1892 "June 21st, 22nd, 23rd, & 24th, The Democratic convention commenced in Chicago this morning and politics has been all the go today. Germen men start for the front but will get left……Today this town Frederick is all a stir as to who will be nominated on the Democratic ballot for President. Tyler Davis and Lay Magill are extremely excited. On this day the Democrats nominated their President who will not be elected. Mr. Cleveland was nominated this morning about 3 o'clock in the midst of an exciting mob during a severe thunder storm in which the lightening was extremely vivid….Was an exciting day in Frederick as it was the day after the nomination of Cleveland and a ratification meeting was held at City Hall. Mckaig, J. E. R. Wood, Lay Magell, and Fred _____ being the speakers." "June 30th, On this day I left for my first trip to Sharpsburg. Went by the way of Boonsboro. Took in the cemetery of Antietam and S. Mountain which is a beautiful site to look upon." "July 5th, I arrived in Frederick early in the morning of this day and left at half past five for my mountain trip. Did not find many of the merchants home. Stopped for the night at Foxville." "July 14th, Was cloudy nearly all day. Played centerfield in a game of ball between the East side clerks and a picked nine consisting of the Catholic Union, Fast Mail and Bentstown Bards. Result score 13, 14 favor Picked Nine." "August 8th & 9th, I started on a trip in W. Virginia. Went by way of Feagaville, Jefferson, Petersville, Knoxville, Weaverton and Sandyhook to Harpers Ferry. Staid there all night. Went over to Island Park to a picnic there was a circus there….Left Harpers Ferry at 11 o'clock and went by the way of Camp Hill, Bolivar and Halltown to Charlestown to Hotel Carter. Staid there over night and had a good time. Also had good sales in that town." "August 12th, Left Martinsburg and went by way of Shepherds Town. Crossed the river at that place into Maryland and got a negro to drive to Sharpsburg as I was very sick but felt better toward night. Had diarrhea and cramps together." "August 19th, I met Mr. Brink, a man who had crossed the Atlantic 8 times and had been all over the U.S. Left Germantown and came by the way of Boyds, Buck Lodge, Shidell, Camus, Hayatts Town and Urbana to Frederick. It was very dusty and I was feeling badly when I got home." "September 7th & 8th, Left the Carter house and started for Middleway. This was the night that the great fight between Sullivan and Corbett was to take place for the championship of the world. Awoke in the morning only to find the Sullivan man feeling quite sore as Corbett had come out victorious in the 21st round. I went as far as Martinsburg. Attended a play at the opera house." "September 17th & 18th, Went to Washington D.C. on the 6:05 train. Arrived in that place a little after 8 o'clock. Went straight to the navy Yard and found father there. Went through all the different shops there and down on the wharf…After breakfast father and I walked out in Arlington Cemetery and there saw Uncle Henry Condon's grave. He died in 1864. Also saw several other monuments and things of interest." "September 26th, Arrived in Frederick on the 6:45 getting here about 7. Was kept quite busy all day putting and shipping goods and quite sleepy today. Got out my accounts for Ridgeville and made preparations for an early start." "October 3rd & 4th, I started for W. Va. and got as far as Harpers Ferry until night. There I found Price from Washington and Conrad from Baltimore. Had quite a nice time in that place….Left H. Ferry about ten o'clock and went down to the river and from there to Charlestown. Saw the large Cleveland, Stevenson and Wilson. Charles Young took my whip in Charlestown." "October 11th, 12th & 14th, Tuesday the first day of the Grand Frederick fair. It was quite lively in town that day. Saw some people from Charlestown that I knew. It was a delightful day. Went to see the Wild West show at night….There was an unusual large crowd in town for the second day of the fair. I remained at the store all day. Saw a great many people who I knew. Everything passed off quietly with but one or two fights……This was the last day of the fair and it was largely attended and there was a great deal of fighting going on. Four broke out anew in Gambril's Mill at night. I went to see the Pearl of Savoy played by Stanton Redding." "October 20th, Left Tyler's and come by the way of Emmitsburg to Frederick. There was a large Democratic meeting in town that night and parade and fireworks were immense. Senator Thomas F. Bayard of N.Y. spoke to a large audience." "October 31st, I was so stiff and sore from riding on Sunday that I could scarcely navigate. I started on my W. Va. trip and reached Harpers Ferry by night. The mountains in the Linden County side of the river were all in fire." "November 1st, Y. Murphy drove me up in Bolivar Monday night to look at the fire. We had quite a nice time. I reached Charlestown Tuesday night. Had a fine time with E. C. Grubbs. Political affairs were ablaze in that town." "December 31st, The last day of the year. I remained in Frederick all day. Bought a pair of ice skates. It snowed late in the evening and at night. Mr. Rice come home from his West Virginia trip. Mr. Davis is celebrating the last day of 1892." 1893 "January 13th, I went to Burkittsville in the sleigh. It was a fine day and the sleighing was good. I had a very good time with Pfiefer girls. Four negros were hanged at Chestertown for the murder of Dr. Hill. I went to the hall at night. Fast mail." [The following information in an article about Frank Brown who was the Governor of Maryland from 1892-1896: "The second of these instances was Governor Brown's commutation of the sentences of four Negro youths who had been scheduled to hang for the murder of Dr. Hill of Chestertown. Feeling ran high against the accused men. Brown had to exercise great secrecy in his investigation, so that his intervention in the case might not result in further violence. Governor Brown not only visited the boys in person, but he also examined the evidence exhaustively. Then he sent a State oyster boat secretly at night to Chestertown to take the four prisoners aboard and bring them to Baltimore. Finally, he commuted their sentences. For a time residents of the Eastern Shore were bitter against the Governor for his interference and threatened to lynch the four Negroes. Better judgment, however, prevailed, and the four men responsible for the crime were later apprehended and hanged"] "February 7th, Was quite cool. I staid in town. Mr. Rice was down to Rockville. At night I went to select dance given by the Rose Bud club and danced with Miss Conner. It was the first time I ever danced." "March 8th, I started in my Mt. trip along with Mr. Smith. The roads were very bad and in some places the snow was drifted as high as the top of the wagon. I got as far as Foxville the first night. Had a fine time with the boys hustling dice, 27 cts." "March 20th, Was a fairly good day. I started in my W. Va trip and got as far as Harpers Ferry and then stopped for the night. There was a chicken fight there and a lot of fellows from Ferry and Martinsburg was there betting on the fight and gambling." "April 17th, I started in my West Virginia trip. It was a nice day. I went by the way of Petersville, Knoxville, Weaverton and Sandy Hook and arrived at H. Ferry about 2 o'clock. Stopped at the Conner Hotel, business was very good." "April 28th, Was a beautiful day. Fore Paws Circus was in town. The town was flooded with people from the country. I went to see the circus in the evening. Took May. Saw the American Revolution which was as fine as silk. There was lots of people in town from down around home." "May 12th, I stained the bath tub for Mrs. Pope. Went over it twice. Mr. Pope notified me that I could keep in the look out for another job as he could not afford to keep two men on the road. Put up 10,000 cigs in the afternoon." "June 7th, was a nice cool day. I drove from home to Frederick. The firemen had their large demonstration and there was one of the largest and best parades that was ever in Frederick. Their being from forty five to fifty five companies in line." "June 9th, Was a clear warm day. I staid in town all day. The town was dead as all the firemen had pretty well left. The Ford's Theatre building in Washington collapsed and there was about 28 or 30 persons killed and 100 or more injured." "June 14th, Charles Baker was in town. I staid around the store all day. Had very little to do. At night Roddy came home. I went around to the Y.M.C.A. rooms and listened to a debate, subject whether the Electric Rail road from Frederick to Midddletown would be a profit to Frederick. Harry Stone left for Baltimore." "June 24th, I staid around the store all day and put up some goods. Roddy left in the 9:15 train to go up home so I was all alone. I read the papers. Miss Lizzie Borden was acquitted in June 20 of the murder of her father and mother. Was a clear day." "July 4th, I celebrated the fourth by going out to Black Rock with a crowd of 10 couples of us in a four horse buggy and spending the day pleasantly swinging, jumping grape vines, playing croquet ball and cards and other amusements." "July 27th, Miss Lizzie Borden confirmed she killed her father and step mother at Fall River Mass. It was a pleasant day. The crops in general are all suffering terribly for the want of rain. I staid at the store all day. At night I went around to C.H." "August 10th, Was emancipation day. There was a very large crowd of colored people in town. Was a clear and warm day. I went down to Mt. Airy in the four o'clock train. Had a good time at camp. Staid over night with Raymond Runkles in their tent." "August 18th, Miss Nettie Moberly committed suicide by shooting herself in the mouth with a 42 caliber revolver. I staid at home all day and worked in the store. Salso picked the pears in the yard. We filled the case with an assortment of pipes." "September 11th, I stared in my Ridge trip and found business quite dull. I took dinner at darkey's. It rained very hard during the evening. At Germantown. I reached Cedar Grove about eight o'clock. Received a letter from E. Page." "October 4th, I staid around the store all day. Got out my W. Va. accounts and then put up goods and waited on the general trade. It rained nearly all day. I ordered my ticket for Chicago. Business was very good. We had a fair day at the store." "November 23rd, I staid around the store and put up goods all day. At night I went up to the Rose Bud dance and danced until 2 o'clock and then took Miss Wilson home. The dance proved very unsatisfactory to a great many." "December 1st, I left town and started for Sharpsburg. I reached Boonsboro by dinner time and took dinner at Kirk's Hotel. I saw a man there who had convulsions from drinking too much whiskey. I got to Sharpsburg about 3 o'clock." The ephemera includes receipts, tax documents, small broadsides, memoranda's (obituaries), advertising cards, newspaper clippings, United States Express Company papers, US Post office papers and so much more. He large number of ephemeral items add a depth to the narrative that researchers and historians will appreciate. They include: Thomas E. Pope Sunday School cards, brochures and tobacco business cards (Pope was a tobacco dealer too and Albert may have worked for Pope in the beginning), Dr. T.S. Eaden Dentist, The Daily and Weekly Examiner Newspaper, R.A. Kemp Edison Mimeograph, J. E. Price & Co., George A. Gilbert (Dealer in boots, shoes, hats, caps, trunks, and carpet bags), The Fredrick City Manufacturing Co., The Atlantic Refinery Company, Lowenstein Tailors, A. C. McCardell Confectioners, and more. The newspaper articles are mostly about events that happened in Frederick or the surrounding areas and in fact many of them coincide with his entries in the diaries. One very sad article in one of the clippings was about a young unnamed immigrant girl traveling on the trains and when she tried to jump from one car to another while they were passing she fell and was killed. Each of the wallets/diaries measure about 3 ¾" x 7 ½". Overall G+. 
Price: 2255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
WEST AMESBURY MASSACHUSETTS NORTH VALLEY CALIFORNI 1874 Good- Manuscript 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall 
On offer is an outstanding journal of an adventurous voyage in the 1870s. Measuring 8.25 inches by 6.25 inches, it contains 46 pages. It is about 76% complete. The handwriting is clear and legible. The spine of the hardbound book has broken and the covers are loosely attached but all pages are intact and in good condition. Albion Sanborn was a 35 year old married man living in West Amesbury, MA in the later 1860s/early 1870s. He decides to leave his wife Maria and their child to go to California to seek his fortune and then return home at some unspecified time in the future. Casual research has not produced any further biographical information. He makes his way to New York City where, on March 14th, 1874, he boards the Pacific Mail Steamship Company's SS Henry Chauncey. The Chauncey had an interesting history. She was launched October 1864 for the Pacific Mail Steamship Company and entered the New York to Aspinwall service on November 1, 1865 and remained on this route until 1869. She burned at sea on August 16, 1871 off the Carolina Coast while on passage from New York to Kingston, Jamaica and Aspinwall with no loss of life. The hull was rebuilt and she continued on this route until she was eventually scrapped in 1877. He writes in detail about the ships journey through the Panama Canal mentioning conditions in the various ports of call en route. Such as what it's like in such places as Kingston, Jamaica, Tobago Islands, Panama, Aspinwall (Colon) Panama and Punta Arenes, Costa Rica, among other destinations. "The island of Jamaica seems to be all mountains and pretty high ones at that. It seems quite nice. ... After the vessel had been made fast, a young man by the name of Robinson and myself went on shore and hired a carriage of the one-horse persuasion to give us a ride around town and and show us the sights. ... By the way, we feel the heat here to our hearts content. It seems like five or six fourths of July boiled down into one. ... [Mar 21] ... I should say that the principal business of the place (Aspinwall) was selling rum, whisky and other spirituous liquors. And gambling. In the evening there are tables along the sidewalks for the purpose of gambling. What the game is called, I don't know. But one thing I noticed was that most of all who were foolish enough to risk their money in it lost it. ... [Mar 24] He writes about people both on board and in villages along their route. He speaks often about the Sabbath Day and he is a church-goer. There are many ladies on board and many men that look pale and sick going to seek a more healthy climate ... [Mar 15] The consumption of dress goods among the native women cannot be very alarming and it is a very common thing to see children without any covering at all which must save an immense amount of wear and tear. ... [Mar 25] When he arrives in California, he describes landmarks, towns and people that he encounters. He writes briefly about the mines and prospectors. The boom years of the California Gold Rush had passed but growth in the state continued to be strong. Sanborn disembarked in San Francisco on April 25th. After several days, he leaves for North Valley, CA. Without any reference to how he found work, his entry for May 4th states: Went to shop and worked some in the forenoon. ... {May 4] The remaining entries mostly concern his working in 'the shop' and include references to people he meets and gets to know as well as social activities. He refers several times to letters he receives from his wife Maria. His journal ends simply on June 14 with an entry about attending church. Following the journal section there is a 6 page section entitled Quotations. In it, he has copied a number of passages from various sources that obviously had meaning for him. This is an excellent first-hand account of a journey that had been taken by tens of thousands of Americans who went west to seek their fortune. In its own way, it too is a goldmine - of direct observations, impressions and reflections of someone who was there to record his part of the experience. Historians would find this a solid piece of primary-source information as would geographers. For social historians, this is an excellent window into one of the most dynamic population movements in 19th century America. 
Price: 4855.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
Philadelphia PA Denmark Sweden Germany Russia 1872 Very Good+ Manuscript 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall 
On offer is the amazing 1872 handwritten manuscript diary of the young Alfred C. Johnson of 727 Pine Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Research suggests this is the same man that becomes Consul of the United States at Stuttgart, Germany in the future and as late as 1896. Mr. Johnson is a literate, observant diarist who details a very interesting life [just one year out of school but he writes and shows interests of a middle aged man] of going to the theatre [Walnut Street is a favorite] and opera, lectures and speeches and he never fails to mentions both birthdays, anniversaries, deaths and other important events of his intimate and extended family [almost compulsively as in one example of new family member 'Molly' - "Molly is one week old; Molly is two weeks old; Molly is three weeks old" and after one month Molly graduates to monthly notations] and European Royalty and other well known, historically important European figures for many of whom he has, it seems, a deep interest and it appears a peripheral relationship. He consistently relates the birthdays of heads of State and their offspring and even makes comments on the character of the individuals. In one fascinating observation he notes a person being born on a specific day in 1801 that he considered a good day and indicative of the man's character. We also deduce that he is likely a much younger sibling of quite a large family as he notes the day his sister Sarah who died at 40 would have been 46 and his brother Theodore is 2 years younger than Sarah. During the year, he takes a train to Washington DC for a visit, also New York City and later he crosses the Atlantic and visits Hamburg [he sees the Emperor of Germany and the King of Prussia, the Dutchess of Genoa etc.], Denmark, Stockholm and Moscow, Russia, among other places. At one point around Thanksgiving, he writes of being glad he is away from home, because he is so ashamed of a disgraced family member. At the back of the diary in the memorandum area he notes 20 separate people he needs to bring presents back to America. Here are some snippets: "January 11 - Nellie married that hateful stitch of a James Chester Norris two years ago today, and will have her second child about 1st of March. April 29 - Went to see Miss Nilson in Opera of Hamlet with Miss Cary and Brignote music by Thomas. Very fine but does not compare with Mignon. May 24 - Rufus Lawrie came up for first time. Birthday of Queen Victoria, born 1819, is 53. June 13 - Sailed in Steamer Hollandia for Hamburg at 2:30. Some very pleasant people on board, especially Miss Hearns, and some very unpleasant people. Feel a little uncomfortable tonight. Moon light. June 28 - Weather cloudy, rain. Took a drive. saw a funeral .... and a house covered with black with a a double string of hired mourners in long cloaks and furs. Took train at Albona (a small town out of Hamburg) at 9:45 pm. Arrived to Thiel at 12 night. Took boat after walking a number of blocks ..... and she fell on one knee too, but did not hurt much. Aug 2 - Arrived in Moscow 11 am, Hotel Chevrier. Miserable place. The exposition and largest room without pillows in the world. Afternoon drove for Sparrow Hill where a view of the city is had..........Road terrible, nearly upset. November 12 - Weather damp, rain, chilly. Heard of another dreadful fire in Boston this time loss estimated at $1,250,000. What shall become of us? Nothing is sure in this world. Next spring there will be one in Philadelphia and everything we have will be lost." Further research finds his father is Lawrence Johnson b. 1801, his grandfather was Aaron Winder b. 1763. Overall VG. 
Price: 1285.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
NUGGET, COLORADO, GILPIN COUNTY 1896 Very Good Manuscript Folio - over 12" - 15" tall 
On offer is a super archive of manuscript letters and a diary handwritten by Almon W. Howes who lived in Nugget Colorado as a gold miner. Mr. Howes does a great job describing his life and works in short entries over 63 pages that starts on April 6, 1896 and ends on January 31, 1898. Along with the journal there are also about 20 persoonal and business letters and documents that were received by him from various relatives and business associates [some of the envelopes have a Nugget postmark] that further flesh out and add depth to history of this miner's life. He begins on April 6, 1896: "Began work for the Ohio K M & M Co. Made a relocation of The Little Lizzie and called it the Oakland. Lost my watch on the way over to the Louisa. Shoveled about 3 ft of snow off the top of the Louisa and cleaned snow out of shaft. Sunk 8 ft in snow to find dump of Oakland. Did not find it. Fine day." He worked on the Louisa shaft until 5/7/96, then started working on the Oakland which he says is 2'6" x 6' on the bottom. He is sending samples and snaking logs for the cabin. Here some more snippets and observations from the entries: took quartz out of the Oakland and white iron; Several other outfits coming in; They had to leave their cabin. Miner's meeting in Nugget; Living in a camp. Big storm w/houses blown down. Maud Estelle prospected for lead, found honeycomb quartz, sent a sample; E have not got a ten foot face yet; Finished the M & made another one called the Loyd Lee; Had the Loyd Lee surveyed, working on cabin again; No food for a week other than bread and beans; Talking about the Topsy Mabel & Piedmont & Ingram claims, taking measurements; Went to the Hoober Knocker Boomerange & Plateau mine; Cut timber to build a water closet; Located the Blue Betty (?) lode. It is a relocation of the Scotch Lassie; Located the Trout (?) Lode; Started working on the road; measured the Mabel (measurements are listed) (Mabel is his claim); Elections, working on his blacksmith shop; temperature is 15 below zero; working on tunnel again, excavating; put off a shot (explosion); went to Denver & had piece of steel removed from his eye, paid $1.85 to record deed; back working in the tunnel; cleaned out my location hole on Loyd Lee; Trout Lode was surveyed & recorded $9.25 (always working on tunnel); broke rock in tunnel; Got knocked out w/powder smoke; went to Loveless tunnel; Has been making timbers almost every day for some time; Went to see Placer; went fishing at Jim Peak Lakes; Went up Montana Hill & went to see the Victor; Fishing at Tellers Lake; Helping friend build a cabin; Begins work on the Mabel; Paid for Republican postage; Someone threatened to have him arrested if he did any more work on the Mabel; worked on the Mabel; Got a receipt from the Republican, someone left on the stage; was sick for over a week; The Republication started today; started working on the Topsy; began a new hole in the Topsy; managed post office & store for someone who left town for a while; having trouble finding the lead in the third hole; Bad storm, cabin shaking down to the foundation; his father died on Christmas Day; there was a forest fire; received a letter telling him to be ready to pull out for Alaska as soon as he gets word; Will start for Denver on Thursday to head for Klondyke. The book is 11 3/4" long and 5 1/4" wide and each of the 63 pages are full and there are a few more pages in the back of expenses. Overall VG. 
Price: 3085.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
ELLENSBURG, WASHINGTON 1894 Good Manuscript 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall 
On offer is a handwritten diary documenting a year in life of a strawberry farmer and Civil War veteran, a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and of the Independent Order of Old Fellows from Kittitas county, which gives an excellent insight on what life was like in rural Washington in 1890s. The diary has about 90 pages, all of which except two are densely filled, covering February 1st through December 31st, 1894, 4-5 entries on each page. The cover has reasonable wear, and the pages are slightly yellowed. The handwriting is very legible. The diary measures 5'5x11'5 inch. There is no author's name, but based on the information provided in the diary and search in genealogical records, it can be said with high level of certainty that it was Amos Smith Jr. (1834-1916) from Massachusetts, a veteran of Gettysburg, who served at the 2nd US Sharpshooters, and who later moved to Yakima Valley and became a successful farmer. The family lived in the vicinity of Ellensburg, their daughter Atha lived nearby with her husband Emil Becker and son Leslie, and was growing vegetables, fruit and strawberries, Amos also repaired farm equipment. In addition to farming, he is actively involved in community life, and activity of G.A.R. (The Grand Army of the Republic), an influential fraternity organization of the Civil War veterans, that had about 490, 000 members at that time. The author lists his daily dealings, work on the farm, purchases, correspondence, earnings and expenses, he helps organize and participates in many of G.A.R events. Here some of the typical entries: "Mercury down to 10 below zero this morning, but it is a clear bright day, the girls walked to school this morning. We went to town. I paid Wood six dollars for the use of his acre of land south of me.", "I took the girls to school this morning and went after them at night, saw Lawrence, received a letter from IOOF Herald, also sample package of medicine from Egyptian Drug Co. E.F. Landerdale called and took away his wagon tongue. I commenced work on L. Kinkades box to hack", "Eliza's birthday, she is 18. Ma went to Athas took down some bread, traded a rooster for a hen with Mrs. Suver. Got a notice from N. S. Berlin pension agent at Washington D. C. I made some pickets for the fence. Went to Post [David Ford G.A.R. Post ]meeting. Post made a donation to the Sons of Veterans of fifteen dollars to help pay for organ"; "June 30. Decoration Day. We go to both cemetery in forenoon, and go in Parade to Opera House and we have a very nice program..." He was also a member of the I.O.O.F (Independent Order of Old Fellows): "March 15th. ...I went to sub-Lodge tonight. Nominations for Reb's to Grand Lodge were made, also conferred the 1st degree on Henry Boterson.", "April 25th. I go down and help decorate the Hall for IOOF anniversary. We to R [Rebekah?] Lodge in the evening", "28th. I go down and help decorate the Hall and it looks fine. I sent 8.60 to Baltimore for badges for Post. We all go down in the evening and have glorious time...". He refers to November elections "Good news of Great Republican victories all over the county." On November 8 he was called to serve as a juror: "I go on the jury today...The jury go out and agree in few minutes". He served on the jury until November 21, and he mentions some cases and decisions. There are many names of local residents, including early settlers of the county, and many local events are mentioned throughout the diary. It is replete with small details characteristic to 1890s and has references to historic events, like 1894 NPRR (Northern Pacific Railway) strike in June, celebration of 75th anniversary of IOOF (Independent Order of Old Fellows), and elections to Congress. 
Price: 1655.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
MANKATO MANAWA KANSAS KS SEYMOUR WISCONSIN WI 1892 Very Good Manuscript 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall 
On offer is an archive of six [6] original manuscript diaries handwritten by Andrew C. Walch a newspaper man who worked mostly in Mankato Kansas in the 1890s. The diaries represent 1892, 1893, 1894, 1895, 1896, and 1897. The early diary begins with Andrew living in Seymour Wisconsin, in the fall he moves to Mankato Kansas. The next four diaries, 1893-1896 show him still in Mankato and finally in the 1897 diary he's in Manawa Wisconsin. Andrew is an unstinting diarist rarely failing to write and all the diaries are full save for 1897 which is about ¼ full. Historians and collectors of late 19th Century Kansas and journalism will find an open book in Walch. Here are snippets: "March 18th, 1892 Seymour Wisconsin, Got up at 4:45 a.m. Helped do the chores and then walked to town and took the train for Black Creek to attend District Lodge. At the depot Edith Standard met us and Charles and I went off with Alfred Holz. We saw John Heintz and his two pretty sisters. At 8:30 met Mr. Burgogne and we went to school until recess then went to lodge. I was appointed press reporter. At 5 o'clock Mary Tubbs, Charles, Flora Stevenson and I took in the town and at 6:56 took the train for home. Saw Mary to Merehl's store and then went to Mr. Conner's to practice for the church. Afterwards met Chief Fuller, Bert Flint and Lafey Sherman and went home. Retired at 11 o'clock." "October 5th, 1892 Seymour Wisconsin, Got up at 8 o'clock. Went to call on Ella Raw, Mrs. Flint and then home to dinner and at 11 o'clock after bidding al the folks "Good Bye" started on my journey. Arrived at Oshkosh at 4 o'clock and put up at the Tremont. Went to the city hall where the G. L. was being held and met all my Good Templar friends. In the evening took the R.W. G. L. degree with 23 others. Frank McKinny and I caught Ruth Willia and Myrtle Thresher and went for a walk and then took them home. Went back to the Tremont and wrote to mother and at 12:50 left for Chicago. Truth one." "November 1st, 1893 Mankato Kansas (on a trip) Ft. Atkinson Wisconsin. Got up at 7:30 and Otto and I took in the town and the High School buildings and then drove over to Whitewater to see Emma, Will and George. Took dinner with them and then we drove back to the Fort and at 2:30 took the train for Beloit arriving there at 7:00. Charles met me at the depot and we took in the town a little and went to the salvation army barracks and then went back to the house and had a chat with some of the college boys and Charles and I rolled in about 11:45." "November 13th, 1893 Got up at 7 o'clock and after breakfast Charles and I went downtown and up to see the water works and at 10 o'clock I left for Chicago. Went immediately to Simmons and then went down on Wabash Ave. to see Dr. George Westcott. Had a good visit and went to supper with him and met Mrs. Westcott. About 9 'clock went back to Simmons and Maud was the only one home. Visited an hour and at 10:23 left for Mankato. The train was crowed and I had to spend the night in the smoker. Did not get much sleep." "July 15th, 1894 Mankato Kansas, Got up at 6 o'clock. At 8 Clifford and I stared for Esbon. Went to the U. B. Church and afterwards went out to White Mound and got the girls and drove to Burr Oak. We went to Roger's and had a fine time. About 8 o'clock we went downtown and had some cream and then started back to White Mound. Yum Yum. After bidding Minnie goodnight, drove to Esbon where Clifford soon joined me and we rolled in at the Mallory House at 1:15 a.m." "July 4th, 1895, Mankato Kansas, Worked a little while in the a.m. at the office. Received a letter from mother. Took a bath and then went down and played tennis awhile. At 10 o'clock took Lillie Allen and we went to the picnic in Black's grove. A shower came up and we took refuge in Grundy's granary and had our lunch there. At 6 o'clock it cleared off and about 6:30 14 of us went to Montrose to see the fireworks. Left Montrose about 8:45 and got caught in a terrible storm but we were well protected and did not get wet. Arrived in Mankato at 11:15. Tony Chapman rolled in with me at 12 o'clock. All in all it was one of the most enjoyable fourths I ever spent.""June 27th, 1896 Mankato Kansas, Got up at 6 o'clock and walked up to Joe Harrison's and got my washing. Worked at the office in the forenoon and in the afternoon went to Concordia. Frank Thompson, Bertha Fuson and Nettie Lindgrove were on the train going to Jewell. Lillian and Pearl Allen met me at the depot and I went up with them to supper and spent the evening. Met Billie O'Reilly and rolled in at the Barons House at 11:30. A man was shot on the pavement directly under my window about one o'clock but got away and no one knew how bad he was hurt." "August 24th, 1896 Mankato Kansas, Worked at the office. In the evening Clifford, Lynn and I called on the girls at Dr. Spencer's and we all went to the depot to let the train in and then to the Medicine Show and afterwards for a walk. Viva and I went down to the house and hid the hammock and then went for a stroll and did not get back until 12 o'clock. Cliff and Mara had disappeared so we swung the hammock and had a time until 1 o'clock and I was about to leave when Cliff and Mara showed up. They had been eaves dropping on us. We all had a good laugh and then Cliff and I left." "December 27th, 1897 Manawa Wisconsin, Worked at the office. Went to Green Bay to attend the Masonic Installation of officers in the evening, it being St. John's Day. Had a pleasant time and good supper. Prosser and Dittmer went down from Seymour. Nat Stewart's wife was on the train and Charles and I went over to supper with her. Rolled in at the Commercial Hotel at 12:30." BIO NOTES: Online research finds a biography on Andrew in "Pioneers of Little Wolf, Wisconsin" and in part it says: "The first printing office in Manawa was located in a small building back of the old Central House Hotel that is now Peterson's Tavern. From here the Advocate office moved to rooms facing Second Street in the First National Bank which today is the Eastling Building. Mr. Andrew C. Walch came to Manawa from Mankato, Kansas in 1896 to take over the Advocate. He began his career in the newspaper field while still a student at Seymour High School. After graduation in 1890 with the first class to finish four years of study at Seymour High School, Mr. Walch went to Mankato, Kansas where he helped an uncle put out a weekly newspaper, continuing there until he purchased The Advocate. Following the Christmas rush of 1898, Mr. Walch locked his print shop and returned to Kansas where he was married on December 27, to Lillian Allen, daughter of the Reverend and Mrs. E. W. Allen. Mr. and Mrs. Walch established their home in Manawa and observed their Golden Wedding Anniversary here in 1948. Three years prior to this, Mr. Walch had marked his 50th year in newspaper publishing. Around 1915 The Advocate office was moved from the bank building to its present location on Union Street. This building had previously housed a general store and at one time the Diehl sisters operated a millinery store and dress making shop there. For a number of years Mr. Walch was assisted in the business by his eldest son, Allen "Pete" Walch. Later the ownership passed to another son, James Walch who continued as editor and publisher until February 1956, when he sold the business to Francis Byers of Marion, plus other stockholders who formed a corporation." Adding further depth to this broad look at Kansas in the 1890s we find numerous newspaper clippings between the pages. Each diary, other then the early one, is a nice "Standard" diary, hard cover and a good size measuring about 4" x 6 ¾". The 1892 diary has a soft cover and is in good shape measuring about 3 ½" x 5 ¾". Overall VG. 
Price: 4255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
  1  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  NEXT >   Skip 10 >>





Questions, comments, or suggestions
Please write to info@mbenjaminkatzfinebooksraremanuscripts.com
Copyright©2018. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by ChrisLands.com