Quick Search

Seller Id
Advanced Search
16th Century Diary
16th Century Judaica
16th Century Manuscript
16th Century Rare Book
17th Century Diary
17th Century Ephemera
17th Century Judaica
17th Century Manuscript
17th Century Rare Book
18th Century Diary
18th Century Ephemera
18th Century Judaica
18th Century Manuscript
18th Century Rare Book
19th Century Diary
19th Century Ephemera
19th Century Judaica
19th Century Manuscript
19th Century Rare Book
20th Century Diary
20th Century Ephemera
20th Century Judaica
20th Century Manuscript
20th Century Rare Book
20th Century Rare Books
21st Century Diary
21st Century Manuscript
21st Century Rare Book
Books and Manuscripts General Overview
M. Benjamin Katz, Books & Manuscripts


We are proud members of The Manuscript Society and follow their ethical guidelines of fairness and integrity.


20th Century Diary

 - 777 items found in your search
20th Century Diary

Click on Title to view full description

STATEN ISLAND NEW YORK REIDSVILLE NORTH CAROLINA 1913 Good Manuscript 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall 
On offer is a rather intriguing 1906 manuscript diary handwritten for the most part by 'Lady' [as identified by the other part time writer who is 'Mary']. Lady is a woman of means, having a number of members in her household who tend to and for her. Mary seems to do most of the writing in the first few weeks of the diary and then Lady takes over. It seems Lady is to marry shortly and is all consumed with preparations. Mary writes: 'sat in library and sewed while Estelle read the papers'; 'Lady' went places'. The diary begins in Staten Island and then for the wedding and thereafter identified as 'Home' in Reidsville North Carolina. We speculate that perhaps Lady is purchasing her trousseau or closing her home. Lady writes: 'Ned and I stamped 1000 announcements; Estelle read to me, Julia watered plants, Louise played; saw Caruso in Pagliacci; Delmonico's for lunch; Capt. Hjortsberg visited; April 24 1906 My Wedding Day'. Lady is tremendously busy and popular having many dozens of visits, appointments and workers and she is attended to by a number of doctors quite closely visiting her at all hours for the least sniffles. Many are named including: Charlie and Laura Gore, Gordon Watt, Dora Sharp, Mrs. Davies Coxe, Mrs. La Montague, Mr. Schwerine, Dr. Bryan, Dr. Armstrong, Nellie Barry ['sewing for me'], Aunt Jane Bierne, Fletcher the Palmist, Margret and Mel Fillman, Mrs. Eugene Watts, Lindsey Ellington, Eva Pasteur, Anna Montgomery, Mag Richardson, Rosa Macgruder, Lottie Pendleton, Olga Violett++++. She also goes on an extended honeymoon by train traveling from North Carolina through the south to Los Angeles up through Vancouver Canada to Winnipeg, Chicago and then back to North Carolina all detailed in this super diary. VG. 
Price: 895.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
ACROSS THE U.S.A AND TO HAWAII AND BACK 1923 Good Manuscript 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall 
On offer is a fascinating, typescript diary of a young woman’s (named Lou W. Smith) trip across the United States, touring the West coast for a few days, and then departing on a steamship and heading for a Hawaiian vacation. The diary consists of 24 typed pages, beginning on Monday, July 16, 1923 “En route Baltimore & Ohio. Washington to Chicago.” and ending August 25th. A letter is also included that is very interesting and shines some light on the diary. It is written on a letterhead that says, “Treasury Department Washington. Office of Chief Clerk and Superintendent.” It dates September 11, 1923 and beings, “Dear Pal, Am enclosing a couple of snapshots which I think will interest you, also a copy of my diary which you said you wanted. Please don’t take offense at anything you may read therein. It sounds sort of grouchy to me, but I didn’t mean it to, at all. Well, I’m 29 years old today! Whew! Last milestone before the curve. I don’t like to get thirty very much. I always feel tender toward you on that day, however, and thankful that you brought me into the world and took such tender care of me all through my childhood and when I was sick and brought me up through it all, well and sound and educated “N” everything. It took a lot out of your own life and body and I do appreciate it.” It ends, “The messenger just came in with Emily Post’s book on Etiquette which I have wanted for some time-- From Francis Ryan. (It costs $4.) I shall now proceed to saturate myself with manners. Well- bye bye now, honey. Have you settled down yet? Lovingly, Lou.” The author is a lovely, exciting and very funny writer. There are moments of great hilarity and levity throughout the pages. She writes with a keen sense of observation and comedic wit. The diary begins, “July 16, 1923. Left at 7:25 P.M. after a very hot day. Francis Ryan and Violet seeing us off. We have the nicest brand new car (railroad car) named the ‘Mountain Queen’, done in blue plush and Circassian walnut. It is quite comfortably cool, to my surprise, and there seems no reason why we shouldn’t last through the night so far as the weather is concerned.” They arrive in Chicago (“Had a horrible dinner at the ‘Northwestern Cafe’), then go onto Salt Lake City. They move on to Yellowstone National Park: “The Camps are great. We have one all to ourselves, with wooden floor and sides, and a canvas top. There is a large dining lodge decorated artistically with pine boughs and cones. Even the electric bulbs have shades of the small branches and cones. After dinner we went to the bear haunts where the food refuse is placed for them. Two large black ones rewarded for our efforts…..The busboys and waitresses are college undergrads and awfully cute. The boys are called ‘packrats’ because they lug the baggage, the dishwashers are ‘pearl divers’ and the bed makers ‘bedbugs’ and the waitresses ‘heavers.’” She goes on to talk about all the songs they sing at dinner and even quotes some. There is even some war talk at dinner (“He and mother couldn’t seem to quite agree as to who started the war, and he had the firm conviction that it was the inevitable course for one nation that is expanding to take by force from a neighboring nation that is not populating so rapidly, land for the extension of the empire.”) Then on to their next camp called “Lake Camp” and the next morning on to Mammoth Lake. As always, the author is a talented, funny writer: “Our lodge was right on the brink of a precipice overlooking the Upper Falls, twice as high as Niagara and we could hear the roar of the water as it came thundering down, all night long. (I record this truthfully and without exaggeration as my dinner disagreed with my digestive apparatus and I spent the night trying to arbitrate the dispute….the dinner lost the argument and I lost the dinner, toward morning, after a hectic struggle.) Next day we drove to Mammoth Camp, a most wondrous drive through mountain ranges. Mother and I, being tenderfeet, had some qualms about there being no railing on the highway, as the road was slippery from the recent rain and a skid of three feet would have catapulted us into eternity in a most precipitous fashion”; The author comments on the people she meets while traveling, with her usual sardonic wit: “Whoever said, ‘See America First’ didn’t count on the superlative satisfaction in travelling out here when some blatant braggart in a condescending blah blah tells you patronizingly how much this looks like Italy and you can quietly answer, ‘Yes, doesn’t it bring one back to Amalfi and the Bay of Salerno?’ It is killing to see the crestfallen expression and hear the weak ‘Oh, have you been to Italy?’ Oh, boy, but it’s a grand and glorious feeling! A Miss Pomposity from Buffalo thought she had quite overwhelmed me with the announcement that she got the little matrix ring she was wearing in Florence and it was such fun to say, ‘Did you get it at Copini’s? I have a little lapis ring I picked up there last summer.’ The poor dear’s day was ruined.” The author and her mother go back to Salt Lake where they board the Denver and Rio Grande train. She falls in love with the desert: “The sunset on the desert was enchanting. There were clouds which looked like huge snowdrifts, shot through with a rose and blue streak and on the other side would be the softest delft blue, mottled clouds, some of them with gold-lined fissures. One long white cloud resting on a mountain peak looked like a gigantic sea-serpent made of cotton-tufts. While the sun was setting on the right just ahead, the full silver moon appeared on the left over the observation platform and I felt distinctly Omar Khayyamish, and could readily imagine the wilderness to be ‘paradise snow’ under certain conditions, and I could even eliminate the book, the loaf of bread and the fermented grape juice.” The go onto to San Francisco, but cannot stay long as they have to dash across the city in a taxi and catch “The Lark” which takes them to Los Angeles to board the ocean liner Calawaii. In Los Angeles, they go “for an automobile ride around the city. In the residential section we saw the homes of Jack Dempsey, Fatty Arbuckle, and Mary Pickford (before she married Doug.)” they then board the ocean liner: “We left in the morning for Wilmington and sailed at noon. The ship’s orchestra (3 piece, saxophone, banjo, drum and traps) was playing and the passengers on board threw colored paper serpentines to those on the dock which served to bind the parting friends until the strain severed them…Mr. Dunbar, Major Clear’s friend of Los Angeles Steamship Company came to our stateroom before the boat sailed and introduced us to the Captain and the Purser.” On the boat, the author describes a number of people getting sea sick, the deck games, bridge party and a vaudeville performance, mind reading by a woman by the name of ‘Madame Nacknack’, songs sung by a burlesque actress who was on board, and more. “Friday morning our ship’s newspaper gave us news of President’s death. It was certainly shocking. It seems to give me such a detached feeling, though. The states seem so far away and the news seems like that of a far country. There was to be a costume ball in the evening, but no one dressed for it, out of respect to the President.” The president was Warren G. Harding, who died on August 2nd, 1923 of pneumonia. She soon reach Hawaii: “The Hawaiian band in white uniforms was playing “Aloha Oe” and it brought a lump to the throat. “Aloha” means welcome, greetings, love, or farewell. It is such a charming custom, too, to greet the loved one with garlands of flowers and place them about their necks. A sweet little Navy mother, Mrs. Lovelace, who happened to be attracted to me because of my voice, kindly offered their car for our use and we came to ‘Fernhurst.’ [the Fernhurst Inn] It is a gorgeous place, a huge, stately white mansion sitting back from the roadway, amid the most luxurious tropical growth of royal palms and countless varieties of ferns and flowers. There is a long sweep of porch across the front with large square columns above which is the long sleeping porch. A low stone wall surrounds the property….” A photograph of this is included in the diary. “August 5th, We like Fernhurst more all the time. The meals are delicious, served in a spacious, airy dining room by cute little Japanese girls in their kimonos and straw sandals. The china is dainty and the silver monogrammed. There are so MANY Japanese here! Everywhere there are little Japanese women sandalling along, some with babies strapped to their backs sometimes lying there fast asleep.” They take a ride around the island in a Pierce Arrow auto by way of Nuuanu Valley up to the Pali, 2000 ft. high. Then to a pineapple plantation. They see a Mormon settlement, and have lunch at the Haleiwa Hotel on the veranda. Then they take a short trip on a glass bottomed boat to see the submarine gardens, then drive through a sugar mill, and return back to Fernhurst. The next day, they attend a luau and the author devotes quite a bit of writing describing that. “Thursday was largely spent shopping for souvenirs. Our tour of the shops took us through Japanese and Chinese quarters. The slogan of a current tobacco advertisement is similarly appropriate; ‘Your nose knows.’ Most of the Japanese women dress in native costume and many of the Chinese women wear the Chinese pantaloons and square jackets with little stand-up collars. Their hair is always a sleek, shiny black, coiffure with meticulous care. The Hawaiian women are universally fat.” The next day, they go to a memorial for President Harding, The passage about the service is about 1 ¼ pages long and is exceptionally well written. On August 11th they board the ship and head back home and while the boat is pulling away she writes: “As the boat pulled slowly out from the pier, they played, “Aloha Oe” and I really couldn’t keep back the tears. I had plenty of company, though, so I didn’t feel quite so foolish. Their greetings and farewells are most touching and it takes a strong heart to keep from being affected. Aloha, Oahu! Aloha nui oe!”; “Tuesday. Who recommends sea trips, anyway? This is the last one I want. I’m not seasick in the ordinary sense of the word, but I AM sick of the sea. I felt so well when I came aboard and ate a hearty lunch, but there my trouble began….” After this little bout of sea sickness, normal ocean liner activities resume. Her one page description of the masquerade party while on board is especially notable. Then it’s back to Los Angeles. They head back to Salt Lake City, then Colorado Springs, Cave of the Winds, Manitou, Cheyenne Mountain, quick stop in Lincoln before arriving in Chicago on August 24th. There are about 5 full typed pages about their trip back home on board the train.” All this is should show you that this woman is an absolutely marvelous writer. There is much more than what I’ve quoted here. The diary pages are all typed and on tissue type paper that measures about 8” x 11”. The cover that once housed the pages is in rather rough shape. It does however state her name and address as “Mrs. L. W. Smith. 5 Hunterfly Place. Brooklyn, NY.” All the diary pages look good and their only imperfections are a few small tears on some page edges. Not all the pages are attached to the binding. The letter to the Treasury Department is in very good condition, with small discoloration on the edges. 
Price: 2255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
MANILA HARBOR, PHILIPPINES 1945 Good Manuscript 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall 
On offer is a fascinating, concise and exceptionally detailed history and evaluation of the ‘Reconstruction and Development of Manila Harbor’ following the tremendous destruction and devastation of the population following the Battle of Manila (February 3 - March 3, 1945). The manuscript was created as a request sent by Civil Engineering for an article on the harbor on 5 July 1945. 2nd Lieutenant Martin M. Gross, Corps of Engineers, was the one who answered the call and the manuscript offered here was produced five weeks later. The report does not seem to have been published. In addition to the manuscript, there is a cover page of sorts, consisting of a letter sent by “Mr. Don P. Reynolds” (ASCE, 1915-2002) the Associate Editor of the journal Civil Engineering on August 26, 1945 stating that “An article on the rehabilitation of Manila Harbor, requested in your letter of 5 July 1945 to Lt. Col. W. M. Hurley, Chief of Technical Information, Corps of Engineers, Washington D.C. is inclosed. It has been read and approved by Col. Dean, Commanding Officer of the 5202d Engineer Construction Brigade, and Col. Cron, Chief of Operations, Office of the Chief Engineer, AFWFSPAC.” The letter says that it comes with the three photographs. Only one photograph seems to have survived and is included in the collection. The letter was sent by “Headquarters, United States Army Forces Western Pacific, Public Relations Office”. This is an original typescript with manuscript corrections throughout the document. Each page contains a number of pencil corrections throughout, as well as instruction for a ‘typist’ to make changes in the manuscript. The words ‘Final Copy’ are written above the title on the first page. In regards to the accuracy of the report, it cannot be said for sure just how good it is, but it seems to have the detail and comprehensiveness of a good and thorough report. It is 13 pages long. Included as well are three figure spec drawings: Figure 1 - ‘Port of Manila’; Figure 2 - ‘Pier No. 7. Showing Breaches’; and Figure 3 - ‘Repairing damaged concrete piles’; The photograph included is of the rendered version of the map of the harbor (Figure 1). The three drawings are expertly done. There is also a typed page describing the three different drawings. Finally, a biographical sketch is included of Lt. Gross: “After graduating in Civil Engineering from Columbia University, Lt. Gross soon became Construction Superintendent for the H.R.H. Construction Corp. in New York City. Then Chief Engineer on the Castle Village Housing Project, he supervised construction for housing projects in New York, New Jersey, and Delaware , before entering the service. In the Army, he rose to Master Sergeant...Soon after the Engineers hit the Philippines, he was transferred to the Luzon Engineer District, the headquarters charged with most of the rehabilitation work in the Philippines. Commissioned in the field, Lt. Gross was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for meritorious service. Lt. Gross plans to enter the construction business for himself in Newark, N.J., his home, when he returns.” Gross would live in New Jersey till he died in 2015. The pages are 11” x 8.5" inches in size. There are 19 pages in total, unbound. Two pages are exhibit some significant wear. The pages are the letter that makes up the ‘cover’ and the page detailing the contents of the drawings. The actual typescript is on much sturdier paper and in better condition. The typing is clear throughout, and the pencil corrections are easy to read and not smudged or faded. There is also a bit of pen used. The drawings and photograph are also in good condition. (Provenance Note: David Katcher (1913-2002), editor at the Naval Ordnance Laboratory before World War II and later executive secretary of a theoretical physics division of the Institute for Defense Analysis, founding editor (in 1947) of the journal Physics Today, and a senior policy analyst in the White House Office of Science and Technology policy during the Carter administration. During WWII David Katcher was Lt. Katcher, serving as a correspondent/writer in the public relations office of the U.S. Army Headquarters of the Western Pacific (GHQ USAFPAC), and served as Public Relations Assistant to High Commissioner Paul McNutt in Manila; One good, quick source on the reconstruction in the harbor facilities in Manila is: "Engineers of the Southwest Pacific, 1941-1945, Volume 6: Reports of Airfield and Base Development, 1951, pp 350-360.) OVERALL: G 
Price: 3255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
On The Road America USA 1908 Hard Cover Good+ No Jacket Manuscript 32mo - over 4" - 5" tall 
On offer is a really wonderful diary of a young Victorian woman during the year of 1908 as she travels aboard a train from the West to the East coast and then back to the West coast again. As the diary starts out she is leaving her home in California on January 7th and spends most of 1908 traveling with her three sisters and parents. In fact Jo does most of the writing but there are also many times when her sisters write. Jo gets sick at one point then the sisters take over writing and they talk about family being sick and some are quarantined. Her entries are descriptively written telling all about the sights and sounds along the way. In fact the first two entries really capture what this journal is all about. On the cover page is written; "Best wishes always to Jo from Marie, A line or two will quite suffice for the every day of life. Jot down things of interest while you think of it, lest you should forget." Then on January 1st Jo writes a small summary of what you can expect in the pages following: "This little book shall mostly tell of my trip to the dear "east" among people I know and love. I hope it will remind me of "feelings" more then of special events, of the things that are really living." The diary measures about 4 ¼" x 6 ¾" and is a "page a day" type diary which gives you lots of handwritten entries. She starts on January 7th and ends on August 7th and writes every day between those dates with most of the entries taking up the entire page. One could easily quote everyday as she has a wonderful way of writing. Here are some snippets: "The family rose early and we three girls walked to the train. I always feel unhappy enough when the time comes to say good-bye. Wallie rode as far as Napa with me and we saw a beautiful sunrise……Sidney and I were up in time for Los Angles things looked familiar. Rush was at the train but I could not tell him how glad I was to seem him, or how forlorn I was when he left. Such a feeling as the dingy tourist car gave me but Mr. Schnell he was fine. Kept the upper berth and talked to me through Banning, my first disappointment. We spent the evening in the observation car and saw Yuma…..Today we found the country varied everglades and swamps, cotton, rice, lumber and sugar cane with cabins and Negroes. Mrs. DuBoss and I enjoyed the most gorgeous Texan sunset and we and the Warrums stopped at San Antonio. Saw the Alamo the narrow streets and enjoyed the sight of a southern city. Coffee and sandwiches on revolving stools…..We were up early and had a poor breakfast, then I went to meet the Warrums. We took the "St. Charles" ride and the "Canal Belt" ride then out to Lake______. Had dinner at Fabecker's and then went to the wharf where we stayed and stayed. …..The sun was so warm that the eves dripped and the icicles melted. In the evening Roy and I went to see the people roller skate, caps and furs and ice skates look like the winters of old and the jingle bells gives me a queer longing. Wonder if I'll get a ride….We went to the concert that evening where I saw a good many friends. Mr. Hawthorne had already "squeezed my hand"……12:30 am, behold a figure with bare feet and bushy hair dressed in bathrobe, going up a stairway. Also three wet and most excited girls. Scenes in the sitting room in the morning told the tale…..I sat with Aunt Ella and made a few button holes but came home to supper, she was so tired from washing. Uncle Jim sold the blacks…..Such a beautiful day! People were able to wear white dresses and new hats and every one seemed to be having a ride in the afternoon. I was mostly new but my hide and Aunt Nell looked so well in her white suit….Drove across Still Water Bridge. Saw tobacco beds covered with cloth and the fields ready for the little plants and we saw tobacco barns. O these beautiful hills! And the wild flowers are appearing. Came home through the old historic town of Deerfield. The houses are old with barns attached. One had 1698 on the chimney. It was too cold for comfort but we'll remember the ride….My new dress promises to fade. Sadness…..Were up early for our Westfield trip. The weather was some doubtful. The lively high school girls were so entertaining and the trolley ride was entirely beautiful but long. Mountains and streams everywhere. Orchards in white bloom, onion fields being weeded on the knee and tobacco fields, level and clean as well as beautiful clean, clean homes. Saw the logs on the river at Holyoke and the lumber yards and dams in the Connecticut with trees growing down to the water's edge…..About a dozen Poles left for the old country on our train-tears….Were horribly hot when we went to bed but found morning damp and cold and we brought no warm garments. He took us on an auto sight seeing trip all historic Boston was shown to us from the huge car driven with such skill though the narrow winding streets…..(she then goes on for the next couple of pages describing Boston)…Sailed down Narragansett Bay to Newport with Norma. It takes two hours. The shores were very green and the weather and the weather very fine. We took the ten mile shore drive and saw many great "cottages". Ate lunch on the beach in sight of the "cliffs". Returned by electric cars up the island of Rhode Island, across to mainland by ferry to Bristol and thence by electric train to Providence through Warren and Barrington…..Shall not forget the view from Washington Monument. We're tired but have had a fine day. Band played "Abide with me" and the bell was tolled as we sailed past Mt. V. It and the tomb gave a very solemn feeling…..Mrs. Sheffield and I had a delightful day, Mts., glaciers, snow rivers and torrents, also Jack from England and Mr. Seattle. Had a good storm at Glacier. Many got off at Banff but more got on. Wish it was full moon. I have a book that tells it all so won't attempt to write if the scenery but I've never seen the like before and shalln't soon forget the wonder of it…..I went fishing down to the forks of the Skykomish. Fished without success for an hour then sat down and told stories awhile. It proved to be my first experience through the jungles. It's too deep to explain but worth your while to take the trip…..We went up to Lena's (Index Washington). She has such a fine cozy spot on the river. After dinner we went up the train into the big timber and wonderful ferns. Sat in the shade of the house and I told about the East…..The day passed quickly and very pleasantly. Read Hesper and sat on the upper deck. Mr. Allen, purser, and offers to send a wireless…." This diary goes on and on and you really get a great feeling of what it's like traveling during the Victorian era. She mentions tons of names, some of which are; John Warner, Bowie, Doyl, Gardiner, Hawthorne, Hirschy, Charley Ware, Robinson, Ed Childs, Hittabrand, Grossman, Upper, Hershaw, Rowbottom, Scheiffer, Morrison, Hopkins, Wilson, Packingham, Bertha Fox, Maggie Franceway, Katherine Brando, McGee, Whitaker, Dr. Love, Letha Watts, Dickerson and more. Places mentioned are; Washington D.C., Lancaster PA, Buffalo, Oberlin, St. Paul, Glacier, Banff, Mission Junction, Everett, Snomish, Index, Startup, Seattle, Bakersfield, Los Angeles, El Paso, San Antonio, New Orleans, Memphis, Chicago, Granville, Tonica Minonk, Rotterdam, Conway, Westfield, Holyoke, Claremont, Cambridge, Mt. Auburn, Wesley, Providence, Newport, Nantucket, Narragansett, and much much more. 
Price: 1285.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
FINGAL ONTARIO PATRICIA BAY PORT HARDY KELOWNA BC 1944 Very Good Manuscript 24mo - over 5" - 5¾" tall 
On offer is a super, historical manuscript pair [2] of diaries handwritten by A.C. Parker #8 BR Squadron RCAF originally of Toronto. Parker does a super job detailing his service beginning January 1st, 1944 with being trained and educated in the art of aerial warfare putting in hours and hours of flight time and on gunnery firing many 100s of rounds near daily in practice at Fingal Ontario. Flying over Lake Erie is a freezing cold experience he notes without complaining. Prior to posting to British Columbia he manages a visit to family and friends in Toronto for dancing at the Granite Club a bit of a distance from his home on Royal York Road. There is also a dance at Women's College Hospital. In all 1944 is completely full describing daily his training and duties: rifle and revolver sighting, time in the turrets, flights, Morse Code training and tests, camera gun exercise, boxing with a PTI Sergeant, his trip to Vancouver, Port Hardy, Kelowna and much, much more. Historians and Researchers of the era will be hard pressed to find a more conscientious diarist recording his daily life as an RCAF Sergeant. 1945 is filled sporadically from Jan 1 to March and then a final entry noting VE Day on May 7th 1945. The 5½ x 3¼ inch official RCAF diaries are in very good condition with some general ageing save for the 1945 book that has a small puncture on the spine. Overall G+. 
Price: 1955.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
SAN DIEGO LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA CA PANAMA CANAL 1919 Good Manuscript 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall 
On offer is a journal and diary of A. N. Nelson, a crew member on the U.S.S. Birmingham, the flagship of the Pacific Fleet’s Destroyer Squadron shortly after the end of World War 1. The diary is entitled above the first entry, “Cruise of U.S.S. Birmingham with Pacific Fleet on West Coast.” This is an accurate description of what takes place in the book. From July 17, 1919 to November 22, 1920, Nelson recounts the passage of the Birmingham as it leaves the Boston Navy Yard, goes through the Panama Canal, and then anchors in San Diego to serve as Flagship of the Pacific Fleet’s Destroyer Squadron. The whole book is written in one long, continuous paragraph. There are no stops or paragraph breaks. For the most part, the book is a matter-of-fact retelling of dates, positions, and activities of the Birmingham. There are also small breaks where Nelson recounts what he sees on board the ship as well as his days of shore leave and pleasure. The book begins, “Left Boston Navy Yard Thursday, July 17 after near six months repair work...First run started on our way for West Coast. The night before we pulled out we had a draft of 200 new recruits to replace the men paid off. I was on deck when we pulled out and felt kind of blue leaving after being near home for so long.” The ship passes through the Panama Canal on route to the West Coast. “We could see the part of the Canal the French Government started to build some old rusted dredges and dirt cans and old twisted nails. Well it took us about six hours to go through the canal there being six locks to pass.” At the end of July the ship reaches Balboa, Panama. Nelson takes shore leave and goes to watch a bullfight and cockfighting, remarking that “I don’t think much of their sports over here.” Leaving Balboa with a formation of 21 destroyers (all at the Birmingham’s stern) the squadron heads to San Diego, where they are met with scores of spectators. After a quick shore leave to Los Angeles and then San Francisco, the ship moves on to Portland, Oregon, going down the Columbia River. Nelson remarks often on the beautiful scenery and mountains of the Pacific Northwest. As Flagship of the Pacific Fleet’s Destroyer Squadron, Nelson writes of the various patrols, war games, and training that the Birmingham participates up and down the West Coast. There are also passages devoted to shore leave in Los Angeles, San Francisco and Portland, as well as the occasional boat race against another destroyer. At the end of January, 1920, the Birmingham receives an emergency call at 2 A.M. from the army transport ship Mt. Vernon which has sprung a leak 500 miles out of San Francisco. The Birmingham escorts her back to harbor. In April, the Birmingham anchors in Pearl Harbor, and the Nelson visits the “Volcano Kilauea, which is the only active volcano that you can look into.” For the rest of the year, the Birmingham goes up and down the West Coast, being more a representative of the American Navy than anything else. In the summer of 1940 it even represents “the Navy in the American Legion Convention.” in Astoria, Oregon. The diary ends at the end of November 1920, with the Birmingham heading for San Diego “making 21 knots,” arriving in San Diego where the ship is refueled “five hundred fifteen tons” of coal. There are three loose newspaper clippings accompanying the writing, all relating to WW1 or the Birmingham directly. The book has 14 pages of writing, with each page except the last being full of writing. The book begins with about 10 pages of blank space and finishes with about 35 blank pages as well. Nelson’s handwriting is clean and crisp, very easy to read in a slightly faded black ink. It seems at a later date, Nelson might have gone back over or expanded some sections, as they are in a distinctly darker ink. The cover is cloth and shows a good deal of wear, but is still fully attached, and the name “A. N. Nelson,” can be faintly read at the top. There are a few words underneath that look to be “301st section” but they are considerably more faint. The whole book is in good condition. (Background: USS Birmingham (CS-2/CL-2), named for the city of Birmingham, Alabama, was a Chester-class scout cruiser, reclassified a light cruiser in 1920. Entering service in 1908, the ship became known for the first airplane takeoff from a ship in history in 1910. During World War I, Birmingham escorted convoys across the Atlantic. The cruiser was decommissioned in 1923 and sold for scrap in 1930. Following America's entrance into World War I, Birmingham patrolled along the northeast U.S. coast until 14 June 1917, when she sailed from New York as part of the escort for the first US troop convoy to France. After returning to New York she was fitted for service in Europe and in August reported to Gibraltar as flagship for Rear Admiral A. P. Niblack, Commander, US Forces Gibraltar. She escorted convoys between Gibraltar, the British Isles, and France until the Armistice. After a short cruise in the eastern Mediterranean, she returned to the United States in January 1919. From July 1919 to May 1922, she was based at San Diego, California as flagship of Destroyer Squadrons, Pacific Fleet, and then moved to Balboa, Canal Zone as flagship of the Special Service Squadron. After cruising along the Central American and northern South American coast, she returned to Philadelphia and was decommissioned there on 1 December 1923, being sold for scrap on 13 May 1930. Commanders: Franck Taylor Evans: 28 April 1919 – November 1919; George Bertram Landenberger: 1920 onwards.) 
Price: 2455.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
FORT SANDERS KNOXVILLE TN TENNESSEE 1906 Good Manuscript Folio - over 12" - 15" tall 
On offer is a letter from a Mr. A.R. Shouse to a Mr. Lawrence Mossby, concerning the hiring of of Mr. Shouse to charter and pilot a ship to haul cargo for Mr. Mossby. The letter is written from Fort Sanders (spelled ‘Saunders’), in Tennessee, and was written in 1906. The ship appears to be hauling cargo to Port-aux-Basque in Newfoundland. Mr. Shouse answers a number of questions posed by Mr. Mossby in his last letter, giving 9 answers to his questions. It seems Mr. Shouse is a ship captain, being recruited by Mr. Mossby to pilot a ship that he has chartered. “Your letter of March 6th which I told you of my last (?) I now endeavour to answer in detail...I have answered the recent and will be wary of most on the 15th of June. Answer 2. The price is (?) $200. Could not do better. Answer 3. According to the account I have heard she is comfortable, roomy and clean.” The letter proceeds in this form, seeming to disagree with the price Mr. Mossby wants to pay for his ship, “Vessel is about 35 tons about 15 tons larger than (?) and as a vessel of 35 tons cannot be had at a price unless for a longer time. I chartered her for one + 1/2 months.” He goes on to say, “Answer 5. I will settle the price when you come I will not be too hard on you.” He also says he will arrange the men to work on the crew. “As you have altered your plan coming to Port au Basque I will not take any men from here. We can get them where we (?) to and returning here will pick up our men here thus saving expense. I will have them June 3rd for Port au Basque as I (?) little time to look after the vessel as I have not seen her having accepted her on recommendation. The men I take from here will get $2.00 a day. The Captain provisions his crew as you desired.” He then writes, discouraging Mr. Mossby from bringing his canoe on board, as “my boat will do and if we need one..we can have one. I am arranging to save expense but as far as the canoe is concerned it is certainly a matter of your own choice.” The letter is one double-sided page long, handwritten in black ink. The writing is legible, but the script can be a bit difficult at times to decipher. The letter shows signs of wear, and there is some small discoloration around the folded crease marks. The crease marks also make the words around them slightly more difficult to decipher. 
Price: 1255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
TORONTO ONTARIO ON ROSTOV RUSSIA 1911 Very Good Manuscript 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall 
On offer is a remarkable original 1911 handwritten manuscript diary by a young Jewish boy named Aaron Glassberg [later Aaron Glassberg Volpe] living in Toronto Canada. All the more remarkable is the clear, articulate and fluent manner this 16 year old, who born in Rostov Russia in 1895, writes after having only lived in Canada for 5 years. Our writer is a smart, tough, mannered kid who experiences a young raw Toronto. Anti-semitism is a reality of the time and the city and this young Zionist is not a stranger to it. He so identifies with his Jewishness he identifies all his contacts by religion either by fact or intuition. He talks of many meetings of the Zionist Club. His family rents rooms and he bitterly complains of the sweet talking tenant who absconded owing $10. From Elizabeth Street near Kensington Market he travels across town daily to attend Jarvis Collegiate. Collectors and historians of early 20th century Toronto would be hard pressed to find a more explicit look at the times than this journal. On a biographical note the author goes on to become a chemist, pharmacist and successful business man and doctor who was the patriarch of a family of doctors. A full length photograph of the young Glassberg is pasted to the fep. Along with the diary, a large 6 x 7 inch journal style book, are a large number of ephemera pieces from 1906 through 1969 relating to Aaron Glassberg and his family. Overall G+. 
Price: 2485.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
ASEA ABOARD THE HMS SUFFOLK CHINA STATION JAPAN 1928 Good Manuscript 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall 
On offer is a significant, original 1928 through 1930 manuscript diary and scrapbook created, maintained and handwritten by British seaman Reginald Sands who provides a super almost day-by-day account of the maiden voyage of the storied British warship HMS Suffolk and its critical deployment to the China Station patrol covering the period Feb 7th 1928 to July 19th 1930. Adding tremendous depth to the narrative there are numerous original photographs, newspaper cuttings, postcards, stamps, other ephemera and hand drawn maps that record everything from the mundane routine of daily exercises and manoeuvres at sea but also activities ashore such as visits to the Union Jack Club in Shanghai, diplomatic calls, visits from important political and military and naval persons and much, much more all the more compelling with the backdrop of region's political and military turmoil brewing in China, Japan, the new Soviet Republic and the myriad of other regional problems and events at the time. Using a school-style exercise book Sands begins on Friday June 1st 1928 when HMS Suffolk leaves Portsmouth after completing several months of trials and over approximately 129 pages details a history of the ship and its duties and events of import. He notes events such as: Suffolk's orders to proceed to Nanking to protect and evacuate British residents in the revolt of troops on the Shanghai - Nanking railway. Suffolk Responding to an SOS for the liner 'Jervis Bay'. Visits from and Chinese Government officials and the British Minister Sir Miles Locker-Lampson. Visit from the Japanese Admiral at T'singtao. Accommodating HRH Duke of Gloucester and transporting him on diplomatic mission to Japan. Suffolk's part in the commemoration marking the re-burial of the Chinese political leader Sun Yat-Sen. Participation in a football match on 15th August 1929 in aid of dependants of HMS Devonshire victims [we believe this refers to the death of 17 seamen on board Devonshire the month before in a firing accident]. Suffolk, with HRH Duke of Gloucester onboard, is escorted into Yokohama where Prince Chichibu comes aboard and later escorts the Duke to Tokyo to meet the Emperor. Sands aboard Japanese warship KAKO [with his breakdown of the KAKO's qualities], Suffolk called to assist with fire at the King Edward Hotel in Hong-Kong. Suffolk's attendance at the Review held by Vice-Admiral Sir Reginald Tyrwhitt on his departure as Commander in Chief of the China Station. Inspection by Emperor of Japan [presumed Hirohito]. Suffolk's part in [Hirohito's] 'Coronation Review'. Illumination of the ship at Nagasaki as part of celebrations of Hirohito's coronation - photo taken and pasted-in. The diary also recounts numerous rendezvous with other ships including: the Kent, the Berwick, Hermes, and Cornwall, and events such as Suffolk winning the sports cup on Sat 7th Sept 1929 at Wei Hai Wei, participation in the Regatta at Wei Hai Wei in August 1929 and Sand's visits to the Shanghai Union Jack - a 5 cents credit has been pasted in. Stamps pasted onto the pages are: WEI HAI WEI - George V One Cent revenue Stamp; Japanese 10 Sen Entronement Hall [Hirohito] stamp; Nagoya Castle 10 Sen stamp; Hong Kong / CHINA - King George V - Four Cents; Egypte brown 5 Cinq Mills; Malta 1 1/2 d George V. The page edges are worn and a little browned and the cover has detached at the staples and there is a faint musty smell but overall G. 
Price: 8895.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
THE NETHERLANDS HOLLAND BELGIUM 1927 Very Good Manuscript 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall 
On offer is an interesting, original circa 1927 manuscript diary of a research trip to the Netherlands and a 1929 trip to Belgium by children's author, travel writer and biographer [Edith Cavell, Amelia Earhart] Adele de Leeuw who over her career wrote 75 books. The 4 x 6 inch flip style notepad is filled with 55 or so pages the majority about 35 pages regarding Holland include: notes on the sights, culture and history of all the cities and towns she visited. These notes undoubtedly ended up published and as identified by her handwritten inscription the title of the book she is working was "The Flavor of Holland" which was in fact published in 1928. The book is overall VG. 
Price: 1255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
MOSCOW USSR RUSSIA OAK PARK ILLINOIS 1929 Very Good Manuscript 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall 
On offer is a super, historically significant manuscript artifact of early Soviet Russia and American relations being the handwritten journal of Adele Rice [Mrs Owen R. Rice Oak Park Illinois], dated April 10th 1929 titled "Our Trip to Russia"; a member of the American Delegation sent on an educational and fact finding mission to Russia a mere 12 years after the Russian Revolutions. The findings and observations of this group are, research suggests, what the book "Russia and the United States" was based on. The book's first entry of the 185 or so pages of narrative was April 3rd then sporadically filled until the last entry Oct. 22nd which we note was exactly one week before the Black Tuesday stock-market crash. The diary is filled with detailed entries of her personal experiences entries cover politics, delegation business, Russian history and social commentary and her journeys whether shopping for antiques and jewelry or to the many parties. She takes numerous lessons on Russia while also teaching them. She also does a super job providing specifics with names, times, dates including; E. Gordon Fox (head engineer of the group the diary refers to) who wrote 'Russia and the Communist Challenge'; Miss Tolstoy, grandniece of the immortal author Count Leo Tolstoy; the Secretary to Swedish Consul; mention of the funeral of Kutlikoff "The Communist head of finance"; Kshesinskaya Danseuse; Mr. Miller of the Hamburg American Line; Sir Perry (Chief Engineer at Ford Motor Company [this was the time Henry Ford signed an agreement with the Soviet Union to produce cars there]; Bill Orr (William); Naberezhnaya Krasnogo Flota, the Red Fleet; talks about VOKS (a cultural society for relations with foreign countries) and much, much more. Here are some snippets: Saturday April 20th Passport official ordered us off the train because we had no visa, in Chicago we were told a visa was unnecessary. Had we been passing thru Holland a visa would not be required. However, as we were returning to Germany one was required. Official very mean. Wouldn't return out PP until we were seated in return train. Damn those Dutch! Monday April 22nd - Went down to lunch. Became acquainted with an aristocratic old lady. After I left the dining room she sent the head waiter after me to ask if she could show me around town. I accepted with pleasure. Frau Tipplekirch took me around in the old section where there were a number of antique shops especially on wall Str. Everything was expensive. Monday April 29th - At 1:40 PM We arrived in Moscow, where we were met by Miss Tolstoy grandniece of count Leo, a man of the legation. Our baggage was locked in the compartments and train switched on another track. Went on a tour of the city in 4 automobiles. Saw the summer palace of Catherine the great, but we were so cold we almost froze to death. Tuesday April 30th - Took an automobile and went to the Europa Hotel. Went out to find a restaurant but none were open, so we returned to hotel and ordered breakfast which was served at 11:30. I never could bear a soft boiled egg, but this morning I ate two! Then we had a business meeting. After which Manus arranged with a Druski driver to take Mary and myself out to see #48 Naberezhnaya Krasnogo Flota, our new home. Sunday May 19th - Up at 9 AM for breakfast. Came back and built fire. Heard the band coming down Naberezhnaya Krasnova. Opened our double window and watched the band escort over 200 sailors to the transport boat. A large crowd had followed, many wives with little children, also sweethearts and parents. One little boy about 2 yrs old cried bitterly to go to his father who was in the ranks. Saturday May 25th - Walter Leck, Ed Everhard, Willis Cleminult, Vance Cronk, Earl Collister & Leo Mandeville left for Kharkov tonight. Gipromez sent a touring car for baggage. No one is allowed on train cars with more than one bag. Most of the fellows had two. They'll be gone for 4 or 5 weeks. Saturday June 1st - Cold and rainy. Sinus headache. Our housekeeper says meat is very scarce. No beef until after the 15th and perhaps no pork. Only veal and fowl. This is because the peasants have no fodder for the cattle and so they are killing them for their own use. Friday June 7th - After dinner walked over to see the Eisenbergs, a very pleasant evening. Mrs. E walked part way home with me. Promised to take me thru Prince Yusupov's Palace next week. Monday June 10th - Got two cards from Owen - one from Kharkov, where he said there were great quantities of Ukrainian Embroidery work. He bought two Emb blouses for himself. The second card was mail in Enakievo. Wednesday June 19th - Had my dinner at 5 instead of 5:30, so I could attend the funeral of Kutlikoff the communist head of finance. Very interesting. Vola, Mrs. Fincke and I watched the procession of thousands of people, soldiers and sailors a short distance from the palace of Labor. Sunday July 21st - Most of the boys worked today so we had tea and sandwiches at noon and dinner at 5:30. Mrs F. & I took a walk as far as the winter palace. The way was crowded with people who came to see the submarines & nine destroyers or cruisers that are here on holidays. In the evening Owen and I went up to the summer gardens, rested a while and then walked down to the church of resurrection. Monday July 22nd - Bill Orr, Mr. Thomas, Hartog, and Ed attended banquet at Europa tonight for the American Delegation. Miss Helen came at 9:20 to give us a lesson. We all laughed and joked quite a lot. [Further talk about a dinner with Sir Perry chief Engineer of Ford Motors.] Friday August 16th - Had a busy AM got a long letter from sister. Phoned "Voks" - Cultural Society for relations with foreign countries, about permit to go thru Kremlin. Friday August 30th - Arrived Moscow 9:20. Took a taxi to Savoy. Ed went directly to Metropole where Freyn and Thomas were stopping. Gordon had wired to Miss Tolstoy to reserve two double-rooms, but seemingly it hadn't been taken care of. Could get only one single-room which we took, deposited our bags, washed up and phone Miss Tolstoy to make arrangements for her services as guide. She arrived at 11 am and soon after we started off for the "Voks" to join group to go thru Kremlin." The 5¾ x 4¾ book is VG. 
Price: 9885.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
ABOARD THE USS NEW YORK 1902 Good+ Manuscript 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall 
On offer is a superb, fascinating original soft bound 1902 China Station diary and personal log handwritten by Admiral Frederick W. Rodgers (1842 - 1917). Rodgers was a Rear Admiral in the United States Navy. He fought in the American Civil War and ascended to be the last commander of the Asiatic Fleet. He was a grandson of U.S. Navy Commodore Matthew Perry. In May 1901, Rodgers became Senior Squadron Commander within the Asiatic Squadron. On March 1st 1902, he became the commander of the entire Asiatic Squadron, which was engaged in combat during the Philippine-American War at the time. He was the Squadron's last commander. At the end of his tour on 29 October 1902 the Asiatic Squadron was abolished and its responsibilities were assumed by the new United States Asiatic Fleet. This logbook documents his ship the U.S.S. New York while stationed in Amoy, China and Nagasaki Japan during a critical time in the area's history. The log begins March 27th with a final entry on - July 26th, 1902. The log recounts the daily workings of the ship, and personnel deployments, lists of repairs to various ships within the Asiatic Fleet. What is of real importance is Rodgers encounters with the Emperor of China and Prime Minister of Japan. He also mentions other naval vessels from Britain, Germany and Japan listing the ship's numbers and armaments. This log contains important information about the fleet in this very historical period when the United States emerges as a world naval power. The 60 pages of handwritten narrative and notes make for some revealing entries regarding American efforts at diplomacy in the area; Rodgers' diplomatic contacts with the Emperor and Dowager of China are well noted as are intelligence reports on fortifications in China. He mentions brief reports from missionaries concerning conditions in the interior of China, contact with British troops who are guarding parts of Peking. While in Peking Rodgers meets the British Foreign Minister and writes about the looting that took place at the summer palace blaming it on Russian and Italian troops during the Boxer Rebellion. Furthermore he discusses positioning gunboats along the rivers near Peking due to further disturbances. Rodgers also mentions meeting the Prime Minster of Japan encounters with the Japanese navy, and various dignitaries, princes, and barons. Here are some snippets: U.S.S. New York -March 27th, 1902 Cable arrived from Hong Kong French Cruiser Arriau called on the American Consul no information from him - he informed me that there was nothing new to report here. A missionary who had just returned from an extensive trip into the interior had informed the consul that he had been treated with much consideration. U.S.S . New York - March 31st, 1902 Woosung China - Visited Chinese Cruiser Hai Chai cable from Widdes asking change of officers from G.C.M. not practicable - one case of Cholera in Cavite - condition in Manila improving. Glaicer arrived Cavite - Drake commanding Muntrey officially visited ship brought in 3 cases for G.C.M. U.S.S. New York April 2nd , 1902 Left ship at 3 pm for Shaug Hai 30 min from ship to station Woosung road is bad anchorage . The tides were up to more than four knots - ships at single anchor are liable to drag. Went to French hotel De Collmines - it is fairly good but the rooms are most uncomfortable - Captain Tah of the Chinese navy accompanies us. Friday April, 1902 Intelligence reports from Monterey Fortifications of the Yangsee River - Forts on Silver Island Black Dragoon forts -Forts at Chu San Knan Forts at Kiaung Yri Required examination of the county between Woosung and Shanghi copy of railroad maps mark chart examination of Woonsung river regards fortifications. U.S.S. New York- April 22nd 1902 New York sailed for Yokahma at 9am Weather raining: A German steamer came in last night with Prince Imperial on board - made preparations for a national salute address ship but found steamer had carried no distinctive flag boarding officer at 4am countermanded order for salute and dressing ship. U.S.S. New York Yokahama Japan Monday April 28th, 1902 Rear Admiral Evens hoisted his flag exchanged salutes Went to Tokio Made official visits to US. Minister To Prime Minister of Japan To Minister of War Called on Baron Kaneko. Wednesday June 18th, 1902 Arrived off Tokio and anchored nearly 10 miles out - Tug ordered previously met ship - left the ship at 10:15 am and went to Tokio took the train to Peking. Col Brown of the British Army Kindly offered the use of his car which was accepted. Taku forts are still being leveled by the international force those on the south side are all destroyed. Arrived at Peking at 7pm.was meet by a gentleman from the legation and a guard of honor from the 9th infantry. Went to the U.S. legation with my personal staff as a guest of Hon E.S.Conger. Thursday June 19th Visited the temple of Heaven discussed affairs with minister he informed me that the principal questions now between the Chinese Government and the internationals are: First as regards the transfer back to civil administration of the Tuiu Suen and Peking rail road and 2 the return of the city of Tien Sien to civil administration. The rail road is now under English military management. Called on the various foreign ligations - only met two personally the German and the Japanese. Friday June 20th, 1902 Visited the Summer Palace of the Emperor. A special permission from the Foreign office was required to visit the Palace it is the most interesting place about Peking but the effects of the results of the trouble in 1900 is very apparent and the destruction was very great - Repairs have been made to a very limited extent this place was occupied by the Italians and Russians who must have looted it to the fullest extent. Peking Sunday 22nd, 1902 Diplomatic dinner at the legation - meet the English Minister than the Austrian Charge of Affairs also the Russian Minister. Peking Tuesday June 24th, 1902 By Previous arrangements was given was audience by the Empress Dowager and the Emperor at the Winter Palace. The logbook has one torn page, one page detached from the binding and four blank pages and is overall G+. 
Price: 13855.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
LOS ANGELES 1938 Very Good Manuscript 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall 
On offer is the original handwritten five year diary of Agnes Gunirlle, a housewife and waitress, originally from the small town of Mondamin, Iowa, but living in Los Angeles, California for the duration of the diary. She and her husband, "Winston," who she refers to most often just as "Mr," live in the Los Feliz neighborhood of the city that they move into during the beginning of August 1938. Ms. Gunirlle's job as a waitress is often mentioned, mostly as she talks about the tips she made. "Aug 13 1938. Sat. Went to look at a job worked from 4-12 at night. Home on bus made 30 in tips. on 6619 Western." There are also occasional references to going out dancing or shopping with friends as well as going to the California beach or to Redondo and other seaside towns for events and daytrips. Agnes Gunirrle is young but past school age, as much of her life revolves around going to work and church, as well as female activities such as knitting, pressing clothes, and doing household chores. She goes several days a week to church in addition to every Sunday. Most dates contain four entries for the years 1938-1941, though some entries from earlier years run longer, and near the end of the year, the entries for 1941 stop completely for months at a time. The entries are almost entirely in pencil. On many pages, the pencil marks have smudged over the years and can make reading some dates difficult. Here are some snippets: October 2 1938 Sun. Stayed home and went to the show in the evening. To church at 9 bells. Jan 7 1939 Sat. Work at 900 bells. Worked till 8:00 at night. Home and played Chinese checkers. August 1 1939 Mon. Started down the hill at 8 bells & then to L.A. at 1:30 & home. slept all afternoon & evening. Mr. O'Streh got mark mad. September 22 1939 Thu. got my hair died then went to look for work in Hollywood on Vernon. Got a job for fri. & sat. Home & knitted & pressed clothes to bed at 10 bells. October 8 1940 Sun. To church at 8 Mary & I went shopping. Off to the Mts. with Winston at Lake Sherman. Mary & I went right away to the marina. 
Price: 1255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
WELLESLEY MASSACHUSETTS MASS MA BOSTON 1914 Good 16mo - over 5¾" - 6¾" tall 
On offer is an original 1914 - 1918 manuscript journal handwritten by Albert E. George of Wellesley, Massachusetts. It appears that Mr. George was a clergyman as he writes about many religious topics, mentions giving sermons and speaks of others as "other clergyman". Entries paint a detailed picture of the times as he writes about many topics including the bad economy, poor living conditions, socialism, insane hospitals and he mentions the women in the church being involved in suffrage plus much, much more. Albert also does a good job as a diarist outlining his visits: Jamaica Plains, Lincoln School, S.J.C.D, Parker House, Harvard +++. Names mentioned include Judge Michael J. Murray, Mayor Curley, Dr. E.H. Bradford, Jack Rese, plus many others. There are approximately 100 pages and save for rubbing and the spine cap missing the book is overall G. 
Price: 1485.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
MT BERRY, ROME GEORGIA 1941 Very Good Manuscript 24mo - over 5" - 5¾" tall 
On offer is a very interesting, original manuscript diary handwritten by the noted author Albert Shaw, who did the Review of Reviews, and many other works in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Of the 35 pages of entries including his noteworthy trip to visit American educator and the founder of Berry College in Rome, Georgia Martha Berry at her school in Mt Berry, Georgia in 1941 there are a number of pages of literary and scholarly commentary. It says in part: Dated June 1941 Trip to Mt. Berry - Cincinnati. "Left Winter Park 5:28 PM in Jacksonville for Rome Georgia to spend day at Berry Schools. Sent Carbon Copy by express today to AS Jr which I will probably call Ohio as I remember, will try on this trip to revisualize old scenes and note changes. Arrived Rome 10 AM met by Tracy Byers and Inez Henry, guest rooms in log cluster of buildings, very beautiful…At lunch, Mrs Wright widow of Judge Wright of Rome, Judge W was trustee and adviser, Mrs W is Martha Berry's sister, motored about by Tracy Byers, many improvements since last visit, summer school now on, commencement was about May 25, Boys all at work, harvesting, finest in US built up grad way, as easy to create well as to let things…Now have beef herd too on with more than 100 brood cows, slaughter for school…New dairy plant for Jerseys brick and red brick tile roofs most picturesque, boys made bricks and built one building after and then over a period of seven years, Cooper and Cooper of Atlanta architects nothing haphazard…Today and tomorrow cattle and dairy experts are coming from state and govt to inspect herds and plant note educational feature of construction work…Asked to have catalogue and up to date reports sent to me…Virginia took 3 small kodachrome films about 150 feet altogether. Visited Martha Berry at 5:30 PM in Berry Mansion, ill with bronchitis and heart trouble will improve, we think, with further rest, guest room in look houses quite perfect…Miss Watkins is from Arkansas highly trained and very original in designing rug patterns, carvings…" BIO NOTES: WIKIPEDIA: Albert Shaw (July 23, 1857 - June 25, 1947) was a prominent American journalist and academic of the early 20th century. Born in Shandon, Ohio to the family of Dr. Griffin M. Shaw, Albert Shaw moved to Iowa in the spring of 1875, where he attended Iowa College (now Grinnell College) specializing in constitutional history and economic science and graduated in 1879. While a student, Shaw also worked as a journalist at the Grinnell Herald. In 1881 he entered Johns Hopkins University as a graduate student. Shaw was elected professor of international law and political institutions at Cornell University but resigned the post in 1891 to accept Stead's invitation to establish an American edition of the Review of Reviews. Shaw served as editor-in-chief of this publication until it ceased publication in 1937, ten years before his death at the age of ninety. Shaw married Elizabeth Leonard Bacon of Reading, Pennsylvania on September 5, 1893. Overall VG. 
Price: 4255.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
Sheridan and Winslow Illinois IL 1912 Fair+ Manuscript 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall 
On offer is a sensational, significant 1912 manuscript diary handwritten by rebel Seventh Day Adventist preacher Edward Ballenger. [While the diary does not have a name inside many other family members' names are mentioned plus there are other innumerable clues confirming ownership.] Edward and his brother Albion are easily found in a number of online websites for their troubles within the Church and authorship of a number of books and mentions in many more books. Bio notes below details much of their story. The diary begins with Edward living in California and then in the summer he sells his ranch and heads back home to Sheridan and Winslow Illinois. He talks about his brother Albion and mentions Mrs. White. At the end of the diary in December there's a supposed suicide of a friend or family member which is thought to be a murder. BIO NOTES: Research finds that Edward Ballenger (1864-1955) and Albion Fox Ballenger (1861-1921) his brother [whose original manuscripts #0001986 we list separately] were raised as 7th Day Adventists and later became preachers. Albion started the "Receive Ye the Holy Ghost" movement which helped inspire the Holy Flesh movement in the Seventh-day Adventist Church and later was dismissed from the church. However after a trip to England on missionary work Albion started teaching a "new theology" and because of this and him turning away from the 7th Adventist Church he became somewhat of an enemy of the 7th Adventist movement. That's when he began writing books on the subject (one being the original manuscript in the other archive listed) and was even involved in a trial because of it. Online sources find "On Trial for Heresy, The A. F. Ballenger Story" which is a very detailed history on both of the brothers; Edward and Albion. Another site provides: "Albion and Edward Ballenger were leading critics of the Seventh-day Adventist Church beginning in the early days of the 20th Century and carrying forward to the death of Edward. In Edward's latter years, Donald Mote began helping him in his work. After Edward's death, Mote continued the work until the early 1990's. The trio were primarily against the sanctuary view commonly held by most Seventh-day Adventists. They also opposed the authority and position of Ellen G. White. Besides tracts and small publications their main voice was "The Gathering Call" magazine." Here are some snippets: "January 1st, We are still on the Cypress Ranch trying to sell but don't expect to be able to tell the crop is started. Ida's and Nellie's families are still at Tropico. Albion is traveling among the heretical and his family is at Riverside. Ethel is book keeper at Paradise. Pa is at Rellis (?) for a week. Am taking treatment of Dr. Hoar three times a week. Have a smoke a little twice a night. I have cut down my magazine and expect to read more books this year." "January 9th, Finished the water in the chicken yards and filled up the ditch. Mr. W. R. Miller came for me to go over to his place about 6. He and Mrs. M. had been having a racket. He was so drunk that he was foolish. He accused his wife of many things and among them of being familiar with other men. She kept very quiet. I don't think I accomplished anything. Yet I hope he may mention it to me when he is sober." "January 25th, Set some gopher traps in A.M. Pa, Em and I went with Milton Miller's to aviation park to see them fly. Mr. Miller took us in his auto for $1.50. Lincoln Reachy did some very fine and daring manoeuvrings. It was quite windy so much of the program was not carried out." "February 12th, Fog and cloudy but no rain. Mr. Miller has been drinking hard. I went over and helped him feed the horses and got his bottle of whisky. Mrs. M. and her mother came over and slept here for fear of him." "February 17th, Mrs. Miller came over before we were up with the baby and took breakfast with us, staying till we went to church. He declared he would take the baby to the city with him. Em and I went to Centralia where I spoke on war and money. Had good freedom. Mrs. M. was with us most of P.M. She just insists on my going to the states attorney and helping her to arrange for sending Mr. M. to Patton for drunkenness." "March 24th, Attended the conference in A.M. and spoke 30 minutes to the Japanese in the Gless St. Chapel in P.M. on Arming the Nations. My second experience in speaking, three and an interpreter. Eld. Warren followed me. Bro. Blunt managed the affair. 13 Japs were present. Em and I came home in eve. Found two letters, one from Albie the other from Bro. Pooler telling of Gust's death the 18th. He died very suddenly of apoplexy." "March 26th, Had a good rain last week. Planted some radishes and lettuce in morning and then Em and I came to the Convention and to Tropico. Had Dr. Dreffenbacker pull a tooth of me. Dr. Hoare gave me another treatment. The convention closed today. Eld. Andross was elected P.M. convention president, Reaser, Reg. Lib. Sec. and Prof Lucas Ed. Sec. There was a pull for me but some one said I was unsafe." "April 7th, Didn't have to smoke today. Em had a very restless night. Her neck didn't seem to be any better. Didn't do anything but keep house and take care of Em. Pa and Albion came out in eve to stay all night. Albion gave a reading in eve on "Spirit of Prophecy." He certainly has some new light on the subject. It is so foolish for our people to teach that Sr. White is the spirit of prophecy. Everyone has the testimony of Jesus who is a Christian." "April 20th, Road my wheel to Artesia and Dr. Oatis took me to Norwalk. Spoke on Matt. 24:14. Had good freedom. Called on Maud Daniel and her father and Bro. Patton. Maud is quite discouraged and almost rebellious. Her father is very poorly. Confined to his bed and can hardly speak in a whisper. Sr. Foster brought me back to Artesia and I rode the way home. Very strong S.W. wind. Haven't had to smoke since the 4th, and have gained 5 pounds." "April 29th, Had to smoke but once. Mr. Will Miller has been drinking heavily for a few days and he was pretty badly used up today so he wanted me to go to the city with him to see a Dr. I took him to Dr. Leadworth and he gave him an examination. Said there was a little valvular difficulty but no serious organic trouble. Took him to Dr. Diffenbaucher to have a double set of teeth made. He felt pretty bad all day." "May 6th, Didn't have to smoke. Had Mrs. King irrigate for me and I went to Bro. Uborall's funeral. He had an operation about a month ago and had a reaction which caused his death. Dr. Fullmer conducted the service and his wife sang two selections. The Dr. only talked about 15 min. and I never heard him do so poorly. I feel that I have lost a very warm friend. Bro. W. was in good condition spiritually. His niece Mrs. Frank Pomeri was there with her father. Albion was down and spent most of forenoon with him. Brought a new pair of rubber boots." "May 8th, Irrigated all day or till 5. Then Em and I drove Miller's rig to Centralia prayer meeting where after a good meeting we took up 80 sub. for the 6 weeks. R. L. Signs and the absent members will probably raise it to over 100. United Hiram R. Kay, age 48 to Helen Cargill, age 50, in marriage. This was Sr. C's 3rd marriage. The church had been expecting it but the particular time was a surprise to them. Bro. Kay gave me $5.00 the first fee I ever received or took." "June 7th, had to smoke about every 2 hrs. till after midnight then slept pretty well. Feel much better this A.M. This spell of asthma has been coming on for several weeks. Have been loosing weight for several weeks and my digestion has been poor. I have been greatly disappointed in not being able to sell. The irrigating has been very slow and while it has been easy I have dreaded it every day. I never was so anxious to sell in my life and yet I suppose it is best for me to stick to it for a time as it is poor discipline to run away from a job when it is in a discouraging condition……." "July 11th, called to see Sr. Dayton about cancelling the mortgage and then came to Artesia to meet Em and sign the deed but when I came. Em told me the Young's were at our house wanting to back out so we came right home. Had quite a talk with them and finally they decided to take the place and he paid me $500.10" "August 1st, Em and I came back to Tropico. I spent the day in the city. Bought my ticket to Sheridan for $47.05 via Denver, Kansas City, St. Louis and Chicago." "August 4th, Spent the day preparing to go east. Took the Salt Lake at 8 P.M. Dave and Litta came to train with us. The partings were all very hard because of the uncertainty of my return but the saddest of all was the farewell to Pa at Riverside. When I saw the tears rolling down his cheeks it broke me all up. I hope I may regain my health so I can make a pleasant home for pa and show him the kindness and love he deserves. He has been more than a father to me. I didn't think Litta thought so much of us till we come to part." "August 5th, Had a bad night. Had to smoke every 2 hrs. and then was very restless. I got all fagged out packing and would have had a bad night anyplace. Started out to be a very warm day. Crossed into Nevada a little after 8. It has been a sandy, alkali waste with a variety of palm cactus at intervals. As we neared Utah the monotony broke and it got a little cooler. Had to smoke several times during day and felt very stuffy." "August 7th, Had to smoke 3 or 5 times. At daylight we were 10240 ft. high in Tennessee Pass surrounded by snow and a heavy frost. The run thru the Royal George was fine. Had quite a thunder shower just before we reached Denver. Lightening struck the Catholic's Church and knocked off the cross. Reached Denver at 4 nearly an hour behind. Em and I went to the Colorado Tract Society 1112 Kalamath St. and then out to see the place. Em went on at 9:45 and I took a room at the Columbia Hotel. Have a large south room at $3.50 a week." (He's in Denver until the 29th of August where he attends lots of religious camp meetings) "August 29th, Took the 7:15. C. B. & A. for Omaha and when I reached there I found I had to go right on or get to Kansas City late at night so I went right thru. Reached K.C. office but they had moved so I took a room and then went out to Electric Park. Saw a man run an auto around a wall 67 ft. in diameter with one wheel on a 90 degree L and the other on 75 degree L. They had a fine ladies band of about 40 nice modest Y.L. (young ladies?) who played very fine. One girl played a comet solo as well as I ever heard. A very hot day." (On to St. Louis, then Chicago and now back in his home town of Sheridan) "September 3rd, In old Sheridan again. Didn't have a smoke. Rested fairly well for me. Ate no breakfast and took it easy all day. The folks all look quite natural. Amos is looking fine. Mother hasn't changed but very little. Lyde has turned somewhat grey and Vieve isn't very plump. Allie is about the same. Sheridan is the same old stagnant place only a few residences have been built. It is about as stagnant a place as I ever saw. No paper, no water system, no electric lights. A very hot sultry day." "September 18th, We all went to Ottawa to the fair. Had our dinner on the grass. Rained in the P.M. so it was very sloppy. This is the first fair except World's Fair I ever attended. Em and I went to Clarence Reed's and the rest of the folks retuned on the freight. My left hip kept me awake last night." "October 2nd, Jim Ells and I walked to Freeport about 2 ¾ miles and took the freight to Winslow. Took us until about 11 to get there. The Ill. C. runs but one passenger and one freight per day. After walking up town for a few minutes I went over to Aunt Wennie's and then up to Phene Black's where I ate dinner. Neither of them would have known me had they not known I was coming. The old home looks quite natural only the forests are gone. The old white oak tree near the front yard is gone. A number of windows have been taken out. After visiting awhile took a stroll up to Martintown thru the big woods. They are nearly all gone except a little piece on the east side. The sand bank has been deserted. Met old man Deets and his wife. They have been married 63 years. Martintown has grown smaller. The old grist mill and saw mill are still there. Wood Roocker runs them. He furnishes light to Winslow. Road down to Winslow and went up to see Cora Steckel at school. She didn't know me. She looks quite old, warn and thin. Went home with her. Aunt Winnie looks about as usual only her right hand trembles quite badly. She still chews her tobacco." "October 5th, Didn't get up till nearly 9. Read awhile before dinner and then took a walk thru Cope's farm to Buchannan's pond and to Klasey's Mill and back via of Block's place. But what a change. Both ponds are no more; neither the mills. The ponds are now farm lands. The spring is filled up, the barn is torn down and the house is moved down to Sweeley's old place. Took supper with Cora. Went to town in eve. A nice day. Have had a smoke once each night." "October 16th, Wrote most of A.M. and went to Freeport in P.M. Called on Clara and Mary Swazey, Belle Taggart and Cora Farnum Burnwood. Took supper with Frank Richardson and then spent the eve with Charley Burnwood and family. Mrs. Farnum was with them. Charley is an active Christian worker now. Has two girls who sing nicely. Came back and stayed all night with Frank. He and his wife are the most deluded couple on religion that it has been my privilege to meet. They believe we live on the inside of the earth. There is no fact of science that they will not twist or destroy to carry their point. Didn't get to bed till after 11:30." "October 20th, Taught Jelma to make hammocks and then Jim brought me to the I. C. train. Reached Dixon at 11:10. Olive and George met me at the train and took me to the Evangelical Church where Pastor Smith spoke. He invited me to speak in eve so I spoke on Will the Old Book Stand. Didn't have very good freedom tho it seemed to be well received. Received a telephone message from Em telling me to come home as Frank Robertson had killed himself. Olive's home is a sad place. She can't talk five minutes without referring to Elgin's trouble. Rella, their eldest girl is a very fine girl and good reader. She recited several selections for me. Amos and Seymour went to Milwaukee to get Frank's body." "October 24th, Didn't have a smoke. The remains of Frank R. came on the 10:45 but the folks missed the train in Chicago so they came to Savannah at 1:12 and auto's met them. The funeral was conducted at 2:30 from Grandma R's home. Eld Barash conducted the service. Two girls sang Jesus Savior Pilot and Abide with Me." Amos and Seymour seem to be completely bewitched by the two girls. Frank's wife and her sister, they both defend the girls and the only reason they have for their opinion is the testimony of the girls. Amos thinks his death was an accident or done in a delirious dream. It seems that Frank was drinking some again. The girls testified that they were out with men, one at least married till 2:45 and drank at least 20 beers. I pity Vieve and Lyde for they are awfully chagrined at his defense of the two beer wretches. Will Kibben and Yada called to see me this morning. He expects to go to Cal to spend the winter." "November 18th, Am 48 today. My health is somewhat improved. Have not had to smoke much for a month. Have had a few light spells of asthma. My eyesight is as good as it ever was. Have never had to use glasses. My hearing is normal. In fact I feel pretty good for one my age except some stomach disturbance and the asthma. I am thankful for the health I enjoy. Weight 153. Lowered Knapp's auto floor so he could run his auto in without lowering the top. Worked pretty hard and felt very tired at night. A nice day." "December 4th, Rained a little last night. A very pleasant P.M. Went after water cress in P.M. Amos returned from Milwaukee at 11. He has changed his mind regarding the death of Frank. He believes he was murdered and that his wife had a hand in it. Made a couple of sets of cards." "December 17th, Rained last night and was threatening all day. Trimmed up some brush and chopped the wood. Finished reading "The Call of Dan Mathew's" by Harold Bell Wright. It is a story of a young minister in the Ozark Mts. His analysis of the condition of the church is very true but his characters are so unnatural and overdrawn that it is almost ridiculous. I can give no reason for its popularity than that it tries to overthrow the church." The covers of the diary have fallen off but are accounted for though really in awful shape. The tex block is otherwise G. 
Price: 3055.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
ISRAEL, BRITISH MANDATE OF PALESTINE, EGYPT, LIBYA 1942 Good Manuscript 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall 
On offer are 37 letters sent from Alexander Aviram Wiesel, a Jewish soldier in the British Army from 1942-1945. Alexander had volunteered into the British army beginning in 1942 during the height of World War Two. He was assigned to the 1st Camouflage Company and later to the Mechanical & Electrical Company No. 544, which was part of the British Royal Engineers in the Eighth Army, where he was sent to Egypt and to the Western Desert. The company operated the water supply system installed by the British. They were split into small units scattered along hundreds of kilometers of the water pipe. Early in 1945 the company was transferred to southern Italy and was in charge of maintenance of electrical installations, water supply and hospitals. The company was dismantled in 1946 and he was discharged and returned to Palestine. These letters were written by Alexander to his Jewish teacher and friend in British Mandated Palestine. All of the letters are handwritten in Hebrew script, and some are written on Jewish Brigade stationary. All were sent during his army service in Egypt (Mersa Matruh), the Western Desert, and Libya (Tobruk and Tripoli). They describe in intimate detail his experiences throughout his service, from the time he reached Egypt, to his move to Italy in 1945 until his return home. These letters capture some insights on his difficulties and loneliness as a soldier. In a letter dated October 8, 1942 he speaks candidly of his fear of death in the World War. On the opposite spectrum of emotion, his pride and joy when the Jewish flag is hoisted on the pole for the first time in their army camp is palpable and fascinating (February 15, 1943). He also speaks of the anger against the British government’s accusations that the Jewish soldiers are serving in the army for the sole purpose of obtaining weapons for the Haganah (the Jewish paramilitary force in the British Mandate of Palestine (30 Nov 43), and much more. The archive also includes two photos of Wiesel. The first is a loose photograph, showing Wiesel in casual clothing. It has the year 1941 written on the back. It is wallet sized. The other photograph, measuring no more than 2 inches by 1 inch is pasted onto a 1943 New-Year greeting card with a red seal mark depicting a rifle and a Star of David. This will make an excellent addition to any collection of Jewish Military History in WWII as well as a great addition to detailed and intimate Hebrew language experiences of 20th century warfare. 
Price: 4485.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
WOODS HOLE MASSACHUSETTS MASS MA 1912 Soft Cover Good Manuscript 8vo - over 7¾" - 9¾" tall 
On offer is an original manuscript letter dated July 17, 1912 Wood's Hole handwritten by Alexander Forbes to Mr. C W Estabrook saying there is NO Boat available for his client. Alexander Forbes was a Famous Neurobiologist.. Normal wear and light folds but overall VG. 
Price: 285.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
ASEA 1911 Good+ 12mo - over 6¾" - 7¾" tall 
On offer is the original pre-World War I and early commencement of the War manuscript diary of Commander Alfred Frederick Bell "AFB" Woodhouse Royal Navy. Entries date from June - August 1911 and May 1914 - April 1915 providing a unique pre-War commentary and then leading up to the actual conflict. Woodhouse begins on HMS Fantome off north west coast of Australia surveying: "...Shifted camp to Byron Islands for 4 days. Got there by 11am. Comber went away sounding in steamboat. I first saw the camp rigged up & then went away coastlining in 2 whaler......Away coastlining again at 7am nearly finished Byron Islands by evening. Enormous number of small islands had to be put in.......Coastlining longcreek about 5 miles in & then small mangrove swamp...Dozens of flies about appallingly stung....Practically no sleep last night owing to bites. Away 7am, started near Beehive. Fixed one point & when turning found myself in whirlpool pass. Went down with flood... Whaler hole in side. Camp - no rum, no sugar, no flour, no tea, very little water...". Then HMS Research (May 1914) off Ireland and Scotland: "...Weighed at 9.30 after the first mail had come on board & proceeded to the entrance to Wexford. Picked up tide pole & then to Blackwater Bank. Went away in motor boat with Hazlefoot but too misty to see anything. Returned at 3.30 & ship started for Larne. Then HMS King Alfred (August 1914): "...After dinner joined King Alfred from Research as my war appointment.....We are at present ammunitioning & getting ready as quickly as possible. Invincible in harbour. (List of officers).....12 Midnight War declared against Germany...My first gun crew do not appear to know much about their drill but they are enthusiastic which is something & I have an excellent gun-layer...Submarine gun crews told off & stationed...Everyone pleased we are getting away but do not know where we are to go. Azores seems popular.....Received orders to proceed to Scapa Flow...Ships here are all King Edwards 1st Battle Cruiser Squadron. Drake & 2 Edgar Cyclops & a good number of scouts, light cruisers & destroyer. All are painted light grey in different parts & black elsewhere so as to be difficult to take ranges on & also distinguishes them very well.......We are painting our funnels & masts light grey & are chipping as much paint as possible off the ship.....proceeded round west of Orkneys. At about 11.30 the Drake stopped a Russian barquentine but allowed her to proceed later. We stood by for firing practise.....The Drake stopped & boarded a Norweigan steamer but let her proceed afterwards. Sighted a battle cruiser in evening. Heard that a German submarine had been sighted....Received news that German ships were in Norweigan fjords. Ordered by c-in-c to support Alsatian who is to patrol 20 miles from coast...Sighted Alsatian an enormous liner carrying as far as I could see only 8 4.7in or 6in. One shell would probably finish her....In afternoon intercepted signal from c-in-c to destroyers to attack enemies submarines which were apparently sheltering in Linza Sound Stronsea (Orkney Is).....Our army according to Poldhu message has held its own in Belgium but has had 2000 casualties, German losses unknown but believed to be very heavy....Heard the Monarch had a torpedo fired at her which only just missed......Sighted Drake in dog watches she told us that 1 BCS had had a scrap on friday morning with a good deal of success. Light cruisers, destroyers & 1 BCS raided near Heligoland & intercepted German cruisers & destroyers returning on friday early. Result 2 German L cruisers & 2 destroyers sunk, 1 L cruiser & several destroyers badly damaged...At 6.30 suddenly sounded off night defence stations. Falmouth had seen a submarine following the G??? into harbour & had waited till her conning tower came up & then fired at her. She says she hit her twice....Superb fired twice at supposed submarine....First shots fired in earnest today.....We have received orders to convoy floating dock from Pentland Firth to Cromarty....The Pathfinder & Speedy have been blown up by mines but little loss of life...Got news that the Aboukir was sunk by submarine & that the Hague & Cressy going to her assistance were also sunk. It appears that a flotilla of submarines attacked them. 21 is the first score to their submarines. Ships are not much but loss of life was heavy I believe....Ships company & officers warned by captain about spreading any information about movements of ships or anything else.....Proceeding to the HMS Devonshire (October 1914) "....Drove to Scabster in a motor lorry, got the mail packet at 4am to go to Scapa Flow. Arrived 7am got on board at 9am The Anglia one of the LNWR steamers which is acting as a fleet ??????....There was a big submarine scare during the day & all ships have left. Destroyers were hunting the submarines & say they got 3 but I rather doubt it....Went to a funeral in charge.....Received orders to proceed on board Cyclops for passage to Devonshire in the Dryad.....At 7pm the Dryad ran on to the rocks near Stromness....By 6pm I was on board the Devonshire after a week trying to get to her.....I am to be tanky & prize officer & keep 4 watches.....Proceeded on 24th 4pm & swept down to Heligoland way. Our aeroplanes bombed Cushaven & ships there on christmas day....Rear Admiral Pakenham hoisted his flag in Devonshire....Rendezvous with grand fleet & proceeded southward. Battle cruisers & light cruisers fought an action with German B Cruisers sinking the Blucher & severely damaging Deiflinger & Molke. We chased after them...The Lion was badly damaged by mine or torpedo as well as gun fire. The ships hit were only Lion 18 times Tiger 3 times the rest not at all.....There are some dummy ships in harbour (Liverpool) with wooden turrets & superstructures, they are very good imitations from a little distance.....Left Scapa Flow & joined 3rd CS at sea. While proceeding into harbour on afternoon of 14th we passed down a whole line of submarines each one near a sailing ship painted white. We opened fire at them all but I dont think hit. They did not seem to fire at us but one cannot be sure....". Covers measure approx 7 1/4" x 4 3/4" (18cm x 12cm) Cloth bound with 91 sides of entries. Covers heavily marked, with some ink staining and wear, some minor marking inside, about fair condition. Overall G. 
Price: 3355.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
CEYLON SRI LANKA MALAYA MALAYSIA SUMATRA JAVA 1909 Good Folio - over 12" - 15" tall 
On offer is an original, sensational October 14th 1909 through April 2nd 1910 manuscript diary detailing a six month visit to Ceylon [Sri Lanka], Malaya [Malaysia], Sumatra, Java, Singapore and Calcutta, India. Of great significance are detailed reports on twenty-nine tea, rubber and sugar plantations handwritten by the author Alfred William Lafone (b. 1853) wherein he writes on 68 pp of the 85 pp folio notebook. The first sixteen pages consist of a businesslike diary of the trip, starting at Charing Cross Station, London, on 14 October 1909, and ending with Lafone's return 'home' on 2 April 1910, to be 'met by Father' (i.e. the one-time Conservative MP for Bermondsey Alfred Lafone (1821-1911) of Hanworth Park, Hounslow). It would appear that the younger Lafone has been sent out to report on plantations with a view to the purchase of one by his father. He writes on May 25th 1910: 'Handed cable from home by Huttenbacks "If Title Good, labour sufficient 500 yearly 1000 if required on good properties."' Lafone records his travels from place to place by boat, train, motor car and on horseback. He notes down the names of fellow travellers (for example, on 14 November 1909: 'Mr & Mrs Tate [of Tate and Lyle?] also on board. Also Douglas Osborne tin miner who put me down for the Club. Davie Bishop of Singapore, Davison who stopped at E & Ott with me. Josselyn.') He swims, plays tennis, and golf (at the course of the Grand Hotel, Newra Elya [Nuwara Eliya], and at Penang). At a tobacco factory at Paya Djamboe he sees 'the Chinese stapling & sorting the leaf'. The references to India and Singapore are brief, and the main body of the item is devoted to the plantations. Each of the thirty estates has its own entry, the whole covering forty-nine pages. Those visited are as follows. In Ceylon: Troy Estate (Ceylon Proprietary Co.); Sunnycroft (Sunnygama Tea & Rubber Cos.); Kiribatgalla; Ambadeniya; Edinborough [sic] Tea Estate; Culloden Rubber Estate; R. P. K. (Kalubara district). In Malaya: Caledonia (Penang Sugar Co.); Prye (rubber, sugar, coconut); Batukawan; Straits (Bertams); Jebong (Perak); Linggi Plantations (Bukit Nanas Estate); Sungei Buloh; Ledbury Co. (Estate Sione); Batu Caves; Consolidated Malay; Lallang Estate; Mallacca Estates. In Sumatra: Simpang Sumatra Rubber Estate; Mr. Pinckneys Estate (private, rubber only); Lang Kat (Sumatra) Rubber Co.; Deli Sumatra (Laut Tador); Tandjong (Kassau). In Malaya again: United Serdang; United Langkat Tobacco Co.; Late British Deli & Langkat; Sealing Rubber Estates (Tebbi Tingi). In Java: Tjiseroe Estate. In India: Bokel Estate (tea). With each entry Lafone notes the proprietor of the estate, its manager, and location, as well as salient facts such as altitude, acreage, drainage, nature and price of labour, rainfall, altitude, tapping. Each entry has a final paragraph summing up his view. Of the Late British Deli & Langkat: 'Placing an Englishman in charge when all the assistants were Dutch was a mistake'. Of the Batu Kawan: 'The policy to follow on this Estate is to either plant cocoa nuts only This is a safe or sound investment. The alternative is to reconstruct the factory & utilise say 2000 acres for cane & the rest for cocoanuts but no rubber | [the following added in pencil] To put it briefly this is a wretched estate - [signed] A. W. Lafone | 23/11/09'. Following an account (with brief chronology and statistics) of the way in which, on the Bokel Tea Estate, India, the 'old tea is being abandoned & new tea being put out at rate of about 25 acres per acre': 'The mistake in the past has been to take everything out of the garden & put nothing into it. There should be at least 10% renewals or additional clearances every year'. The entry for the Linggi Plantations contains a diagram headed '1/4 of tree', showing the process of tapping. The last three pages carry names and addresses. A few entries in another hand; perhaps Lafone's son? 32 x 20 cm. 36 lines to the page. Text clear and complete. Internally tight and sound, on lightly spotted and aged paper. Worn marbled boards and enpapers, with loss and splitting to red leather spine. Overall 
Price: 4895.99 USD
Add to Shopping Cart
  1  2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  NEXT >   Skip 10 >>





Questions, comments, or suggestions
Please write to info@mbenjaminkatzfinebooksraremanuscripts.com
Copyright©2018. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by ChrisLands.com