Price: $3,485.99

Quantity: 1 available

Book Condition: Good

On offer are a sensational pair [2] of original 1923 - 1925 manuscript diaries handwritten by a young sailor named Charles F. Ber_____ [it is difficult to make out his last name which is written on a fragment of the inside front cover but researchers with access to crew manifests will undoubtedly confirm the full name] who served on the USS Raleigh [CL-7] in the Sick Bay [medical department] as a senior assistant to the doctor. The two diaries cover almost three years from the USS Raleigh's initial commissioning with over 400 pages of writing with significant entries throughout for historians and researchers interested in the 'between wars' years on a ship of some renown. Charles does a super job detailing his life aboard ship and on land from even before she was first launched but also with the ship when they sailed to Iceland, Guantanamo Bay, Panama Canal Zone, California and Hawaii just to name a few. The author is quite detail oriented and records the mundane and the unique. For example while in Iceland he sees two movie companies making films on shore and talks in detail about some historical air flights. Here are some snippets: 1923 "September 7th, I was discharged at the Naval Hospital League Island Pennsylvania by Commander R.C. Holcomb (MC) U.S.N. The Captain (Raymond Spear) was on leave at the time." "September 9th & 10th, George Bayard and wife, Emma Dallago and Rita Whitney had lunch with me. After lunch we sang and danced in the administration building. Afterwards we went out in the Navy Yard and went aboard the Birmingham; Mercy and some destroyers…..Left Philadelphia early Monday morning for Washington. Emma Dallago was with me. It was her first visit to the capitol city. We spent a real pleasant day in Washington. I asked Dr. Buell's of the Bu. M. & S. for foreign shore duty but he refused me so I asked for the New Scout Cruiser, U.S.S. Raleigh and he granted my request. Emma left for Philadelphia at 7:00 P.M. and I left for Laurel Mississippi at 10:00 P.M. I was on 30 days leave." "October 11th, Reported to Lt. Commander F. X. Koltes for detail. He was acting as the Executive officer at the time. I asked for the lab detail and my request was granted." "October 23rd, Orders arrived for my transfer to the Rec. Ship, Boston in connection with the fitting out of the U.S.S. Raleigh and on board when in commission." "October 30th, Received orders from the hospital at League Island to proceed to Boston at 9:30 A.M. Received transportation from pay office at the Rec. Station at 11:00 A.M. Left the hospital at 12:00 noon and left Philadelphia over the Reading at 1:00 P.M. Arrived in Jersey City at 2:45 P.M. and in N.Y. at 3:00 P.M. I went to pier 39 and went aboard the Cambridge of the Colonial Line Steamship for Providence. Went aboard at 3:25 P.M. and the boat shoved off at 5:30 P.M. There was a C.M. A.A., A C. Stk and Stk-32 with five G.C.M. P.'s. They were going to the naval prison at Portsmouth N.H. The prisoners were all firemen and just back from Turkey. As we left N.Y. it was a wonderful sight to see N.Y. by night. We passed near the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Blackwell's Island and Long Island. I had dinner on the boat." "November 3rd, Went down to the Bethlehem Ship yard about 8:30 A.M. Went aboard the Raleigh for the first time. It will be great when it is finished. Had lunch with C. Yeo. Redmond Campbell at 2:21 P.M. I went to Boston. When I went down to Chelsea to the Naval Hospital I knew five of the Chiefs on duty there; Strout, Littlefield, Mc Daniel, Ray and Campbell. I had supper at the hospital. After supper I left for Quincy. I arrived in Quincy at 6:35 P.M." "December 1st, The U.S.S. Raleigh is in the floating dry dock. I went down in the dry dock and went under the Raleigh, 555 ft. long. I then went aboard the U.S.S. Lexington, an airplane carrier. After I came home I went to Cox drug store and got the Kodak pictures." "December 12th, The first trial trip of the Raleigh was made today. It was builder's trial. A number of the Beth. Shipbuilding Corp officers and workmen were aboard as well as most of the Navy officers and enlisted men. I got aboard at 6:50 A.M. the gangplank was removed at 7:15. We shoved off at 7:20. There were five tugs that took her out in the clear. At 7:40 the tugs let go. At 9:15 we passed Boston Light Ship. There was a cold stiff breeze blowing. It blew spray clear over the deck. The most speed that was made was 29 knots an hour. At 11:30 we had chow. We went about 28 miles off the coast. We turned back between 11:00 and 12:00 o'clock. We got back to the dock at 3:20 P.M. and I was off by 3:25 P.M. The tugs (5) met us just the other side of the bridge….." 1924 "January 18th, Mailed C.H. a military set for a birthday present. Went aboard the ship this A.M. about 11:10 to inspect the sterilizers and to see them work. They are ok. Seen the Fore River doctor this A.M. and made arrangements to use his office and syringes to vaccinate with typhoid vaccine, some of the Raleigh officers and crew. Will also give Cow Pox vaccine. Captain Watts called me in his office and asked me about the typhoid vaccine. Said he wanted Dr. Lane to give him a shot the first thing Monday Morning…." "January 21st, Received an itinerary of the commissioning and shake down cruise of the Raleigh today. The commanding officers received a good conduct medal for me today but it was not presented to me yet. Called Reason about the Typhoid vaccine." "January 24th, Went to Boston receiving ship to get some typhoid vaccine and some elixir terpinhydrate and heroin. Got back at 12:30 P.M. Got to the office at 1:00 P.M. Dr. Lane had received the other typhoid vaccine and so soon as I arrived we began preparing to give the typhoid and cow pox vaccine to some officers and enlisted men. Captain Watts was the first to get t shot of typhoid vaccine….." "February 4th, Went aboard the Raleigh this A.M. to locate the hospital corpsmen's billets and lockers. Dr. Lane told me that he would be the head of Div. 8 in name but I would be in reality. He received all the keys to the sick bay and lockers and I received the duplicate keys to the same….." He writes about a funeral party that went to Ex-president Wilson's funeral. Also heading to New York Harbor to dock and taking on torpedoes then out to sea: "April 18th & 19th, It is raining and the sea is very choppy. We got lost twice during the night and once about 8:00 A.M. We will not go to Annapolis until Monday or Tuesday. We are going there so the 1924 class can look over the ship. We turned south some time yesterday. We anchored some time between 4:00 and 5:00 P.M. We got underway some time later. At about 7:00 P.M. we anchored for the night. We are supposed to be about 10 miles southeast of Cape Charles Light. At one time we were in 7 fathoms of water….We weighed anchor and got underway about 6:30 A.M. We are now in the Chesapeake Bay. Land on our port side. We are anchored some where in Chesapeake Bay. No inspection. We weigh anchor at 11:30 A.M. and headed for Hampton Roads. A Navy tug Hercules brought (towed) a motor boat out to us while we were at anchor. A boat like the Gig. It carried a whale boat back in its place. Sent a bag of mail ashore by the tug. We got under way and then anchored again, lowered the sea plane over the side. We are headed for Solomon's Island. We are going to Graves End instead of South Hampton. It is a beautiful day." "May 4th, Went ashore this P.M. to see the Commissioned officers and the warrant officers play ball. 32 to 6 in favor of the Com. Officers. Liberty at 5:00 P.M. Some C.P.O's got midnight liberty. Some girls visited the W.O's and had show with them. A Sea-2C (AP.A.H.) tried to swim ashore and decided it was too far so he thought he would commit suicide. He lost his nerve and hollered for help." "June 24th, ……Left Quincy about 3:00 P.M. We passed a floater in a bathing suit and the ship was stopped and a whaleboat sent out to look for the floater. He was not found. A tug came alongside and took the pilot ashore. The plane had been up and the photographer took some pictures of the Raleigh. While we were stopped we took the plane aboard. The day is a hot sunny day." "July 9th, We are indeed in the land of the midnight sun. It hardly gets dark before it is light again. I got up at 5:00 A.M. There is land in sight. The clocks and watches were set ahead one hour at 7:30 A.M. Greenwich time, Hebrides Islands. We had general quarters and man the rail. We are in sight of Scotland. We passed through the Pentland Firth into the North Sea about 3:30 P.M. We passed between Scotland and the Orkney Islands. The Shetland Islands are north of us but not in sight. There are numerous travelers in the North Sea. I helped print some pictures tonight." "July 28th & 29th, The Richmond came in this A.M. at 10:00 o'clock. It is foggy and cold. The seas are running high. We are to leave at 8:00 P.M. for Iceland. We left at about 8:00 P.M. and just before 9:00 P.M. the clocks and watches were turned back one hour. It is stormy weather…We have pretty weather and smooth seas. General quarters this A.M. We are due to land or arrive at our destination tomorrow morning at 2:00 A.M. Hornafjord Iceland." "August 3rd, Sick call and quarters this A.M. A bunch of chiefs went ashore this A.M. The other aviator #2 plane went by at 1:12 P.M. We got underway about 9:00 A.M. and went to sea. We returned as soon as the plane passed. One plane #3 made a forced landing before it reached us. The liberty party came back about 6:00 P.M. and the seas were running high along side the ship. The seas were six or eight feet high. The party in the whale boat landed in the starboard torpedo room." "August 8th, It is still raining. Our planes are making hops. I went ashore at 1:00 P.M. and returned at 3:30 P.M. One of the world flyer planes is on the beach. It is #4. New Orleans. One of the aviators from plane #3 came aboard the Raleigh. I noticed two movie men ashore (A Pathe' and International) making pictures. We are to go toward Greenland tomorrow on a scouting trip. Maurice drunk." "August 10th, Sick call as usual. About 10:00 A.M. we sighted icebergs. There are 40 lookouts on deck. It is cold and foggy but the sun is trying to shine. We are going to send the planes out on a scouting trip. If they find a good place to land they will return to the ship and carry gas and anchors ashore. I am trying to go ashore with them. They will have to wear side arms. I will not get to go with the planes. At about 4:30 P.M. we hit an iceberg. It bent one blade on the forward starboard propeller and bent the after starboard propeller shaft. Collision was sounded. We are in the midst of big icebergs and are likely to hit them at any time. The fog is still thick. It lifts a bit and then settles down again. We are proceeding very slow. At times we have to back down. We headed out of the ice fields. At 11:00 P.M. we lay to. We're out of the ice fields and danger zone. I saw the Northern Lights (aurora borealis) for the first time. It was a beautiful sight." "August 21st, The Army planes hopped off this A.M. at about 4:00 o'clock. It is a bad day. The sea is more or less rough. The wop flyer started with the other two planes but when they passed the Barry he was 25 minutes ahead. The wop is trying to go to the North Pole……At 3:30 P.M. there was no sign or no news of the Army planes so we got underway and started towards Barry in search of them. The ships were lined up from Iceland to Greenland as follows; Richmond, Billingsley, Reed, Barry and Raleigh. The Milwaukee is on the other side of Greenland. Planes #2 and 4 landed in Greenland all ok. We don't know where the wop is. We have not heard from him as yet. We did not see the other planes pass us on account of the fog. I heard two different rumors about the wop's flight. One is that he is headed for the pole; the other is that he is going around the world. 826 miles from Iceland to Greenland." "August 23rd, It is cloudy this A.M. but our two planes were lowered over the side about 5:00 A.M. and went in search of the Italian plane. The Italian's plane is an all metal plane. Our planes returned about 7:30 A.M. and left again about 10:00 A.M. and returned at 12:30. Only one plane went on the 10:00 A.M. trip. Lt. Collins and RM-3C Daniels was in one plane and Lt. Flemings and CMM(A) Ormsbee was in the other one. The second trip Lt. Collins and ACMM Ormsbee made the second trip…..A Danish war vessel "The Island Falk" sent Eskimos out in their kayaks to look for the Italians and they also sent a motor boat to look for them….." (Talks about lying upside the Richmond and passing the wreck of the H.M.S. Raleigh) They arrive home on September 3rd in the Boston yard. The last entry in this diary is October 13th. Diary 2 - Guantanamo Bay, California and Hawaii. Lots of torpedo testing in this diary: "October 20th, ….Departed Hampton Roads about 8:00 A.M. We arrived at Southern Drill grounds about 11:00 A.M. The Concord and the Trenton came out later. At about 3:00 P.M. the Trenton had an explosion in one of the twin mounts. 18 or 19 injured. At 5:00 P.M. we received a vague report. One man still missing overboard. At 5:25 one of our planes was lowered over the side and went in search for the man overboard. It was too dark to see much. We had general quarters at 1:00 P.M. Dummy firing. We are still searching with the search lights for the man overboard. The Trenton returned to Hampton Roads under full speed. We looked for the man overboard until about 10:00 P.M. The search lights going all the while." "November 10th Guantanamo Bay Another pretty day. The doctor went ashore to help with an operation. We left the Bay about 7:20 A.M. Harting was sunburned so bad last Sunday that the is on the excused list. General quarters this A.M. We had our final short range trials. We will fire Friday. Returned to Guantanamo Bay at 3:30 P.M. The patient that was operated on died about three hours after the operation. We got mail today. I went to the movies tonight." "November 28th, Another pretty day. There is an island on our starboard. We continue to pass islands. It is getting cooler all the time. No quarters or general quarters today. The first general court martial was handed out today to Madigan. The uniform is now undress whites with jumpers. The last movie show was tonight." 1925 "February 9th, Arrived at Guantanamo Bay at 12:15 A.M. and after unloading some supplies and mail to the Whitney we departed at 3:20 A.M. The Detroit's steering gear and turbines went on the blink. She had to stop in the bay for awhile but she beat us to Guantanamo Bay. The Trenton had to stop in the bay for awhile to get a corpse ashore. A man died with ___ pneumonia. We left mail with the Whitney but we did not get any in return. We arrived in Guantanamo Bay at 11:45 A.M. will be here all night. It is so clear in the water that we can see the bottom at six or seven fathoms, 36 or 42 feet. The Detroit, Cincinnati, Milwaukee and Richmond were here when we arrived. We had general quarters this afternoon. Movies at night." "February 19th, No quarters yesterday or today. I went ashore at 12:55. It took over an hour to get to the dock. We landed in Balboa. Mail came aboard before we left the ship. I like Panama City. Came back to the ship at about 10:00 P.M. Left the dock at 11:00 P.M. There were plenty drunks but I was not one of them. Did not take a drink of anything but water." "March 25th, Left Huntington Beach about 6:00 A.M. Went out and joined the fleets. Had quarters as usual. We watched the Battle Fleet fire. It was real interesting. Colored splashes. The firing was finished by ten thirty. We headed back for Huntington Beach to send divers down to recover our starboard anchor. Had the following drills on our way in; Fire, Collision, Fire and Rescue and examined three men for physical qualifications for diving. I examined one man for 20 days B. & W. yesterday and vaccinated 71 men. I vaccinated myself….." "April 5th, Sick call. We passed through Golden Gate about noon. An air plane flew over and a movie man took pictures of us. It was very foggy. We arrived at 1:50. Went ashore at 3:00. Went to a movie and vaudeville show then went to see "White Collars", a comedy. Got back to the ship at about 1:30 A.M. We received mail." "May 2nd, Hawaii No inspection. Got underway for Pearl Harbor about seven o'clock. Got to the Navy Yard early. Took oil from the Brazo's. Went ashore from Pearl Harbor Navy Yard. Got to Honolulu before one P.M. Passed some sugar cane farms on my way in to Honolulu. Went out to see the Godshall's. Went to a fort to see the movies. Last night and tonight. The ship returned to Honolulu about four o'clock. Mail." "May 6th, A day long to be remembered. I made my first trip by air plane. One of our planes, #3/14. Mide La Porte, A.P. was the pilot. We were lowered over the side in the plane. First time up we were about 200 feet and had to make a landing on account of engine trouble. We got back to the ship about 11:40 and we left about 10:00 A.M. I enjoyed the hop very much. Only thrill was when he would make a heavy bank. Went ashore at 12:45. Went out to Godshalls and took a short swim. Mr. Settle took me for a ride. Went out to Pearl Harbor way and then up on Round Top Mountain. There is a wonderful view from Round Top. Returned aboard at 10:00 P.M." "May 22nd, We got underway about 8:00 A.M. and returned at 2:20 P.M. We played another war game. The smoke screens were great. No one was allowed to make pictures of them in any of the maneuvers. I bought me a fountain pen from the canteen, a Parker. I went ashore at 5:00 P.M. in the Captains' gig. I inquired of the patrol if any one had turned in a pen to them but no one had so I am still a pen shy….." "August 18th, About 5:30 P.M. a boiler exploded on a boat going from Newport to Pawtucket. Two people were killed and several injured. The injured were taken to the Naval Hospital. I got to the hospital about seven o'clock and stayed until about eleven. It was a horrible sight in the ward. Men, women and children were burned. (The Mackinac)." One diary is housed in a 6-ring binder measuring about 4" x 6". The other has lost the covers save for the aforementioned fragment. The pages measure about 3" x 5 ½" and are in great condition. Truly a superb peek a naval life from the sick bay. Overall G+. ; Manuscript; 32mo - over 4" - 5" tall; KEYWORDS: HISTORY OF, SICK BAY, GUANTANAMO BAY, PANAMA CANAL ZONE, HAWAII, USS RALEIGH, CL-7, USN, UNITED STATES NAVY, NAUTICAL, NAVAL, MARINE, MARINER, NURSING, MEDICAL, MEDICINE, SAILORS, BETWEEN WARS, CUBA, ICELAND, BATTLESHIPS, AMERICANA, HANDWRITTEN, MANUSCRIPT, DOCUMENT, LETTER, AUTOGRAPH, KEEPSAKE, WRITER, HAND WRITTEN, DOCUMENTS, SIGNED, LETTERS, MANUSCRIPTS, HISTORICAL, HOLOGRAPH, WRITERS, AUTOGRAPHS, PERSONAL, MEMOIR, MEMORIAL, PERSONAL HISTORY, ARCHIVE, DIARY, DIARIES, ANTIQUITÉ, CONTRAT, VÉLIN, MANUSCRIT, PAPIER ANTIKE, BRIEF, PERGAMENT, DOKUMENT, antiquité, contrat, vélin, document, manuscrit, papier Antike, Brief, Pergament, Dokument, Manuskript, Papier oggetto d'antiquariato, atto, velina, documento, manoscritto, carta antigüedad, hecho, vitela, documento, manuscrito, papel.


Author Name: CHARLES F. BER_____, USN

Categories: Books and Manuscripts General Overview, 20th Century Diary, 20th Century Manuscript, All,


Book Condition: Good

Seller ID: 0001658

Keywords: Keywords: History Of Sick Bay Guantanamo Bay Panama Canal Zone HAWAII Uss Raleigh CL-7 USN United States Navy